G2M power specs

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

jammer

G2M power specs

Post by jammer »

What DC power supply allowances are acceptable for the G2M as the manual only mentions battery use.
Some circuits will tolerate higher voltage and amp but mostly don't do well with less than specifications.
My question is, can i use a 12VDC @ 1A supply continuously without damaging unit?
Please advise.
james
Site Admin

Re: G2M power specs

Post by james »

It's certainly safe to connect a PSU to the battery terminals. They are protected against wrong polarity, and can handle voltages above 9V no problem. The limit is near 30VDC, but I would recommend keeping it below 15VDC. The only problem could be if the PSU is too noisy because some of that noise could get into the analogue circuits and cause dome degradation of performance.

A 1A supply is not a problem because the G2M will only consume the current it requires (i.e., 10mA).
jammer

Post by jammer »

Thanks you James for the clearing up the PSU issue, and the quick response.

I get that the G2M can accept a PSU(Power Supply Unit) up to 15 VDC (and any amperage not less than 10mA) and safely operate continuously(over an extended period of time) without damage.

The only issue might be the quality of the PSU, i.e. PSU doesn't filter the input AC enough, some of it getting through into the G2M which might be interperted as part of the input signal, affecting the performance of the G2M's interpertation of the intended input signal.

Please let me know if i got any of this wrong! :D
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

You are correct on all points :D

If you use a "good" PSU designed for stomp pedals you should be ok. These are designed for low-noise audio use.