G2M V2 awailability and improvements

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

Jumme

G2M V2 awailability and improvements

Post by Jumme »

Happy to hear about the new G2M vers 2.

Anyone knows when it will be launched? And that improvements it will have over the old model?!

Thanks!!
james
Site Admin

Re: G2M V2 awailability and improvements

Post by james »

The G2M V2 is available now in many stores worldwide (we don't have details of every store that has or hasn't got it!)

Quick summary of improvements/changes compared to the original G2M:

(1) note-on latency is reduced (2-3 times faster).

(2) note tracking (how quickly it tracks changing notes) is slightly more than 3 times faster.

(3) robustness to sloppy playing/multiple notes has been enhanced.

(4) wider note detection range. Now extends down to an A1. Upper range has been extended too.

(5) even more accurate pitch-bend detection (it was very good already!)

(6) CHROMATIC mode has been added.

(7) BOOST switch has been removed, and a new front-end with higher dynamic range is used.

(8) Auto-power off (to a low-power, but not fully off) state after 30 minutes to save battery when left on by mistake.

(9) Improved battery monitor to more reliably warn of low battery conditions.

Also, battery life is a bit shorter because of all the extra processing required to give the increased performance. Maybe ~70% of what it was before -- but still a very long time :)
SlimHeilpern

Post by SlimHeilpern »

Two questions related to V2:

1) How can I tell if a G2M is V1 or V2 when ordering from and online retailer, or purchasing at a store? Is V2 clearly marked somewhere on the unit?

2) I've been playing around with my G2M (V1) driven by a close-mic'd chromatic harmonica (clean signal). The biggest problem I have is when I stop playing a phrase (no audible noise from the instrument when I stop), the midi output usually continues, usually issuing a new note-on/note-off at a lower pitch which is not musical. Any chance that this has been corrected in V2?

Thanks,

- Slim.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

1) How can I tell if a G2M is V1 or V2 when ordering from and online retailer, or purchasing at a store? Is V2 clearly marked somewhere on the unit?
The product packaging is clearly marked "V2". Also, the sticker on the product clearly shows "G2M V2".
2) I've been playing around with my G2M (V1) driven by a close-mic'd chromatic harmonica (clean signal). The biggest problem I have is when I stop playing a phrase (no audible noise from the instrument when I stop), the midi output usually continues, usually issuing a new note-on/note-off at a lower pitch which is not musical. Any chance that this has been corrected in V2?
This sounds like it might be picking up mains hum (50/60Hz). When you are playing the hum is low enough to be ignored. When you stop playing that becomes dominant so the G2M starts tracking it. If that's the case, the problem is not with the G2M but with whatever is feeding it (your mic). Do you think this could be the problem?
SlimHeilpern

Post by SlimHeilpern »

james wrote: This sounds like it might be picking up mains hum (50/60Hz). When you are playing the hum is low enough to be ignored. When you stop playing that becomes dominant so the G2M starts tracking it. If that's the case, the problem is not with the G2M but with whatever is feeding it (your mic). Do you think this could be the problem?
The signal is really quite clean, but I'm sure there is some very low level hum. Perhaps I need to try running a studio quality noise gate before the G2M... I could also experiment in a more controlled setting (recording the signal right off the mic to see if there are any artifacts or hum, editing as necessary, and then playback to the G2M). But my use case is to be using this live, so I'm hoping the noise gate will do the trick.

But, back to my original question, do you think V2 would handle this situation any better?

Thanks,

- Slim.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

SlimHeilpern wrote: But, back to my original question, do you think V2 would handle this situation any better?
It depends what is causing the problem. It is difficult to know if the V2 would behave differently or not, without knowing the actual cause of the problem. What notes are you getting from the G2M when you stop playing? Do you have a MIDI file you could send us to look at?
SlimHeilpern

Post by SlimHeilpern »

james wrote:
SlimHeilpern wrote: But, back to my original question, do you think V2 would handle this situation any better?
It depends what is causing the problem. It is difficult to know if the V2 would behave differently or not, without knowing the actual cause of the problem. What notes are you getting from the G2M when you stop playing? Do you have a MIDI file you could send us to look at?
Not currently, as I've only been using it direct to a synth so far. My recollection is that I get a quick note-on/off about a whole step down from my last played note. I'll try and do some real analysis in my studio soon and post my findings...