Sonuus G2M Pitch Bend Issue

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

Jsted62

Sonuus G2M Pitch Bend Issue

Post by Jsted62 »

I bought the Sonuus G2M and having an issue with the pitch wheel (pitch bend) - it's causing my guitar notes to bend up and down erratically from what's being played in my MIDI software. I saw a post from another G2M user with a similar issue using the Reason app - he said he reduced the pitch wheel range to 0 to help solve the problem. I'm using Acoustica Mixcraft 5 (rather than Reason) and am not sure how to do that.

Is there a way to turn pitch wheel (pitch bend) off or to 0 in Mixcraft so the guitar notes coming through Sonuus G2M don't pitch up or down?
james
Site Admin

Re: Sonuus G2M Pitch Bend Issue

Post by james »

For problems like this, you usually need to configure the pitch-bend sensitivity of the VSTi instrument you are using. Most default to 2 (to match the G2M) but there are still lots that don't.

What VSTi/plugin instruments are you using?
Jsted62

Post by Jsted62 »

I was able to adjust the pitch bend on some of my VST's. Thanks for the advice.
thefyn

Post by thefyn »

Hey peeps. Oops, just realized I have a Sonuus i2M ....but the same applies.

You mentioned I have to change the picth variation in the VST.

How do I do that?

I use the following:

Alchemy
cakewalk z3ta

I use Sonar Home studio 7. I am having the same issue with unruly bends.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The i2M does send out "Pitch bend sensitivity" messages, so if the synth responds to that you don't need to do anything -- unfortunately, most synths seem to ignore that message!

I don't have Alchemy or z3ta here. I found this on google about z3ta+. I don't know if it applies:
Pitch bend range is on the Global oscillators tab in z3ta+. You have a separate control for up bends and down bends in case you want any special effects like bending down an octave and bending up 2 semitones. Both controls have a range of up to a full octave.
NOTE: you will want up and down bends set to the same value if you want it to sound natural.
martinmj

Post by martinmj »

Hi. I'm a newbie to the G2M(V2), but not to midi , having used synths since the days of the DX7.However I wanted to be able to use my guitar with the various synth modules I have, and the G2M ticked all the boxes.Yesterday was the first time of using, and connected to a Roland SC-88, I was very impressed by the speed and accuracy of the midi output, and the vast variety of sounds that sounded to have far more feeling in them than when using even a decent midi keyboard. I used the G2M throughout on the non-chromatic setting, and the only pitch-bend I heard was what I put in.
But today, doing exactly the same, the pitch-bend sounded far worse, and so I switched over to the chromatic setting which resolved the issue. Now I know my guitar playing ain't great, but it does not vary THAT much from day to day? Any ideas, or was I just being super-accurate yesterday?
Thanks,
Mike
johnmc
Site Admin

Post by johnmc »

Hi Mike,

When you switch to chromatic mode, the G2M doesn't generate pitch-bend messages. When using non-chromatic mode we recommend to set your synth module (or software) to have a pitch-bend range of +/-2 semitones as this sounds the most natural. Depending on your module this may be a global thing or it could vary between different patches.

John.
martinmj

Post by martinmj »

Hi John,
Thanks for that. I had a look at the settings on the SC-88, and the pitch-bend was set to +/- 2. However when I altered the value to zero, the problem vanished.I suspect a previous owner of this module had set it to zero, and when I did a factory reset yesterday it restored it to +/- 2 ( which is surmise was the original setting).Mystery solved.
Regards,
Mike
P.S. Great piece of kit!