Tracking Issues

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

builder

Tracking Issues

Post by builder »

Hello,
I have had my Sonnus for a little over a month and can't quite seem to get it to track properly with any consitency.
Sometime I will just play the name note (palm mutted) and it will switch to the note a half step above evey now and then.

I am using an Gibson ES-339 and logic pro 8 using a flute, bell and lead sound...

Any suggestions, could I have a bad unit?

Thanks
james
Site Admin

Re: Tracking Issues

Post by james »

Hello,

A few quick questions:

(1) Which notes are showing this problem. Are some worse than others?

(2) Is pitch-bend setup correctly on your sound module / soft synth?

There are two reasons why a note can be detected as a semitone sharp. Firstly this can happen if the tuning or intonation of your instrument is slightly out. Secondly, when you pluck a string it naturally starts to vibrate at a higher frequency than the sustaining note because the string has been put under more tension simply by picking it.

So sometimes you might find the note is just sharp enough to make it closer to the note above the one you are playing. The G2M compensates for this by using pitch-bend to bring the note back to the correct pitch, rather than retriggering a new note which usually doesn't sound good. If you are listening to the MIDI instrument this is usually transparent and you don't hear it because it repitches almost as quickly as the string itself does. However, if you record the MIDI data you may see what looks like wrong notes unless you also take the pitch-bend data into consideration. Similarly, if pitch-bend is not being used by the sound module, it sounds like it gets stuck on the wrong note because the pitch-bend can't be used to apply this correction.
Voltaire

Re: Tracking Issues

Post by Voltaire »

fwiw: I had a few tracking issues in the beginning, I'm using a similar guitar to the gibson es-339, I adjusted the intonation and tuning according to the G2M and it was slightly better, a few days of practice with the unit and I was fine. You just need to learn how to play clean, note by note, almost robotic.