Voice-to-MIDI files

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

drg

Voice-to-MIDI files

Post by drg »

Can I use G2M to convert - Voice-to-MIDI (particularly to Sibelius 5)?

If it is not possible by default - how to make it possible?
james
Site Admin

Re: Voice-to-MIDI files

Post by james »

The G2M was not designed for voice, but it still works very well with voice.

You can use most dynamic mics (with a standard jack connector, rather than an XLR) and connect this to the GUITAR input of the G2M. You might need to enable BOOST because mics generally have quite a low output compared to guitars.

It will work very much like guitar, but for transcribing into Sibelius, you'll need to be able to sing in tune.
drg

Post by drg »

Did you try it?

I mean can you state that G2M is a no headache solution to Voice-to-MIDI?

If I will sing in tune - will G2M always recognize the notes, or not really? What is the accuracy percentage with the enabled BOOST?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Yes, we have tried it and it works very well, and it pretty much a "no headache" solution.

However, we haven't done extensive test and R&D with voice so there could be problems that we haven't seen. But I know there are other people using the G2M with voice and it works very well.

We don't have numbers for accuracy percentage, but it will be high. If you sing in tune, the G2M should get the notes correct all the time.
drg

Post by drg »

It would be nice if your company would help composers/artists to replace typing with their own voice for notation software, like Sibelius, Finale, etc.

For me - the option "voice-to-notes" would be the best solution. I think I am not alone.

Thus, R&D about "voice-to-notes" should not be a waste of time.

Will you do it and if so - when?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I fully agree about the usefulness of this.

If you want a voice-to-note solution today, get the G2M. If you want something more specific to vocal, please give us your specifications so we can consider this in a future product -- what would you need it to do that the G2M doesn't?
BertAnt

Post by BertAnt »

Just want to add something from my experience playing the G2M, i think even if i sing out of tune G2M still can reproduced it on the MIDI out accurately, with awesomely wild pitchbend coming out from my bad singing (and talking), so for the result to be in tune or not is really depending on the singer/vocalist. To compensate for the dynamic range that i can't maintain with my voice, i simply use a distortion pedal with slightly distorted setting before G2M, that will narrowed the range so i could control the MIDI out easier.

And with notation software it's easy to edit the MIDI data, so it's still faster to input note using G2M than using a keyboard..
hcearwicker

Post by hcearwicker »

james wrote:Yes, we have tried it and it works very well, and it pretty much a "no headache" solution.

However, we haven't done extensive test and R&D with voice so there could be problems that we haven't seen. But I know there are other people using the G2M with voice and it works very well.

We don't have numbers for accuracy percentage, but it will be high. If you sing in tune, the G2M should get the notes correct all the time.
Hi James.
How is the G2M on pitch estimation for other sound sources? e.g. for woodwind, bowed strings etc and where these may have gradual attacks/decays. I intend using noteon/off messages only; is there phantom notes for example when used with certain non-guitar sources? Thanks,d
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The G2M works very well on other pitch sources.

It works well with woodwind, but if you have lots of harmonics you might need to EQ the signal before going into the G2M. Hooya posted a great review of the G2M with his basoon on this forum: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18

Similarly, we also have some violinists using the G2M it to good effect. With any sound source you need to feel what happens when going through the G2M. If you find there are particular things that don't respond well to pitch conversion you can easily compensate to alter your playing technique.
BertAnt

Post by BertAnt »

This video shows G2M connected with a Bassoon :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5UwgjxPbfU

I wish someone will do the vocal-driven G2M video soon ! :D