My G2M died?

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

Toff

Re: My G2M died?

Post by Toff »

Thanks for the prompt response James - I will contact the shop tomorrow :)

The only issue is that we are in a different state than AUSMIDI (I live in Melbourne, Victoria) and it took quite a while to get the unit from them (finding a shop that knew about the product was already a challenge ^^ but in the end, thanks to the forum, I found AUSMIDI and from there their resellers). We will see how it goes ;)
Toff

Post by Toff »

Hi James,

I finally received a second G2M this week, 2 months after returning it to the shop.
They assured me they rapidly sent it back to the importer (AusMidi) - While I understand the Christmas frenzy may not have helped with the delay, i am still puzzled at how long it took them to exchange the product.

Anyway, I just tested it and ... there is no MIDI coming out of the device, again. :shock:
Same situation: POWER and MIDI leds are lit, the THRU jack is sending the guitar signal, but no MIDI is coming from the MIDI OUT.

This new device's serial is 1102394

I tested it with a guitar into the jack IN and output the MIDI:
  • IN a synth keyboard set to receive on MIDI channel 1 -> No MIDI (but the synth works, as a drum box connected to the MIDI IN does communicate with the synth)
  • IN a synth guitar (Rolang GR-20) set to receive on MIDI channel 1 -> No MIDI (but the GR-20 works, because the keyboard connected via MIDI does trigger the internal sounds)
  • Into Logic Pro through an external Alesis IO|14 Firewire soundcard (with MIDI IN & OUT) connected to my Mac -> No MIDI (any audio records fine, any other MIDI devices do send MIDI)
  • Into my Mac OS X's own 'Midi setup' app (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3157) which could be the equivalent of Midi-Ox for testing that you were looking for, using aforementioned soundcard -> Nothing.
All with 3 different MIDI cables (2 old, 1 new that I bought just to be on the safe side).

Ultimately, I measured the signal coming out of the G2M's MIDI OUT and there was none.

Living in Australia, I found that many recent Asian built electronics contacts, cable pins, Jacks, get coated with a very thin film of anti-corosive chemical film - to survive the boat trip on the pacific - which can lead to loss of signal and other joy. Applying a small amount of Caig De-Oxit often helps remoiving that thin film or any corrosion contracted during the shipment. I have not tried it yet as I did not want to void my warranty.

But, re-reading the OP's message + what I experienced with the first G2M I got, I am more thinking towards a loose connection in the G2M.
I think it is safe to assume there is a problem with the devices, or at least the batch that AusMidi received.

At this stage I am considering going back to the store (which is a 20km drive, to and from, each time) hoping they will not think I am crazy, or fully incompetent, and give me refund.
As neither this store or others stock the product and have to order it from AusMidi, I am afraid to wait another 2 months without a guarantee that a 3rd device would finally work.

Can you please investigate on your side and provide some explanation?

I would REALLY like to be able to use the device in my gigs, but feel like destiny has it against me :lol:

Many thanks in advance for your help on this matter.

Toff.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Hi Toff,

Sorry to hear about your problems. We'll make sure this is resolved quickly for you. We'll also look into the reasons why you had to wait so long. Ideally, the store should have enough units in stock so they can simple swap out out for you there and then.
Living in Australia, I found that many recent Asian built electronics contacts, cable pins, Jacks, get coated with a very thin film of anti-corosive chemical film - to survive the boat trip on the pacific - which can lead to loss of signal and other joy. Applying a small amount of Caig De-Oxit often helps remoiving that thin film or any corrosion contracted during the shipment. I have not tried it yet as I did not want to void my warranty.
These units were shipped by air to Australia, so there wasn't a long boat trip.

However, we are happy to honour your warranty if you want to investigate the problem to get a quicker solution. If you are happy to open the case and investigate the connections, please do -- it's designed to be easy to get in to.

If not, we will try to quickly get you another unit (that has been tested before being sent to you) and swap it with the one you currently have.
Toff

Post by Toff »

Thanks again James - I am sorry to bring bad news from the other side of the world.

Unfortunately, none of the music stores we have in Victoria actually stock the unit - Everywhere I asked previously they could of course sell it, since AusMidi has a range of resellers, but had to order it first from them.
I am certain there was a mix-up at the store (which they did not communicate) and/or the xmas period was not a good moment to have the unit travel 1,000kms to Sydney then back.

I too believe that the problem does not come from shipment, especially if it has been air shipped.
Thanks for the confirmation regarding the warranty though, as mats77 pointed out, it is refreshing to hear this from a manufacturer's support 8-)

Unfortunately, as I explained in my first post 2.5 months ago, I am not tech-savy enough, nor do I have the equipment, to re-solder the connection if it was loose.
What would be great though is if they can indeed test the unit before sending, as you mentioned, in order to avoid a 3rd fail ^^

At this stage, do you mind communicating with AusMidi, and the store if you are allowed by your wholesaler, to let them know of the situation?
The store is World of Music, in Brighton (a bit different than Brighton in the UK ;)) - http://worldofmusic.com.au/Default.asp?ID=3

Thanks again,

Toff.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Toff,

It seems the faulty unit was returned to AUSMidi, but to the wrong address so it was returned to the store... Christmas got in the way, and that's why there was a delay.

I will PM you to get your postal address and we'll get a new (tested) unit to you ASAP, and get the broken one back for investigation. We don't have many returns so like to test all faulty ones to work out what has happened.
AUSMIDI

Post by AUSMIDI »

Hello Toff,
Sorry to hear about this second unit down. I've been chatting with James and explaining that you original replacement took so long because the store that you returned it to actually sent it off the the WRONG address. They were acting in good faith, but sent it to an OLD OLD address they had on file. When we eventually found out what had happened the people now at that wrong address had returned to sender, .... and then as you say Christmas etc. But as soon as we eventually received it back - just threw a brand new one in an Overnight bag to the shop.

We sent off the replacement (brand new un opened) not imagining that maybe it should be tested first. We had never heard of any of these devices going wrong.

As I've discussed with James (just now) we're happy to send you another new replacement - but will of course - test it first for midi output. Like I said, this is the first experience of it for us.

So, if you want to give me a call between say 10am - 5pm, I will arrange the swap. 02 9575 4812 Opt 2 Ask for Peter.

I hope we can get you up and going in the shortest possible time.

PS Thanks for writing rational and well tested accounts of your problem.
Toff

Post by Toff »

James, AUSMIDI,
Thanks for your help - I will call on Monday morning!

I had a feeling the issue came from the store instead ;)