Hardware requirements?

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

drg

Hardware requirements?

Post by drg »

What are hardware requirements for G2M?

For example, I have M-Audio Ozone Academic and Sibelius 5 - can I use G2M with it or I need something like Roland GI-20?

Can I just plug it in a computer via USB (direct connection for Sibelius 5)?

System requirements?
johnmc
Site Admin

Re: Hardware requirements?

Post by johnmc »

You don't need a Roland GI-20. The G2M will work with a standard guitar signal. If you have a soundcard with a MIDI interface already on your computer then you just need a standard MIDI cable. You can also use a USB to MIDI converter. Please see related discussion on viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3.
drg

Post by drg »

Let's make it clear - if I will buy the MIDISPORT 1x1 - 1-In/1-Out USB Bus-Powered MIDI Interface or M-Audio Midisport USB Uno Sound card, then I can connect the G2M to my computer, where Sibelius 5 will recognize the G2M as an input device = I can type notes using an electric guitar. Am I correct?

Your web site contains lots of information, but it does not have the essential info:
It would be nice if your company provided ready-to-use solutions for the G2M, like if you will use the G2M as a MIDI device for notation software - you need to buy ...; if you need to combine the guitar electric output with MIDI beautification - buy ...; etc.; you can connect the G2M directly to you computer (the list of G2M-compatible programs) if you will buy ...

For example, carvinguitars.com provides the hardware requirements to their guitar - SH575:

"Outputs include dual 1/4" jacks (one for humbuckers, one for piezo) and a 13-pin Hexaphonic MIDI-compatible output, which is compatible with controllers such as the Roland GR33™, VG88™ and VBass™, Roland GI-10™, Axon 100™ and others."

It would be very helpful if your company will provide DEMO (video) - how G2M works with guitars and voice-to-MIDI. Because the accuracy/speed of recognition is the main concern of the majority. If your device works great - show it and it will help you to sell it much better than this forum.

Also your clients need to know the black list - G2M-incompatible hardware, drivers, software, OS requirements, etc.

It will help your clients and also will save your time on comments.

Will you do it?
johnmc
Site Admin

Post by johnmc »

Thanks for your comments.
Let's make it clear - if I will buy the MIDISPORT 1x1 - 1-In/1-Out USB Bus-Powered MIDI Interface or M-Audio Midisport USB Uno Sound card, then I can connect the G2M to my computer, where Sibelius 5 will recognize the G2M as an input device = I can type notes using an electric guitar. Am I correct?
We have tried the MIDISPORT 1x1 but not the Uno. However the G2M is fully compliant with the MIDI standard so we don't antipate any problems. The G2M only has a MIDI out connection. There is no two-way communication between the G2M and a computer so the computer won't recognise the G2M automatically.
It would be nice if your company provided ready-to-use solutions for the G2M, like if you will use the G2M as a MIDI device for notation software - you need to buy ...; if you need to combine the guitar electric output with MIDI beautification - buy ...; etc.; you can connect the G2M directly to you computer (the list of G2M-compatible programs) if you will buy ...
We understand your point, however there is a huge range of MIDI hardware and software available. The G2M is just a MIDI input device (in the same way that a MIDI keyboard is) so as long as your software/hardware supports MIDI then it will work. We may however add some suggestions to our FAQ.
It would be very helpful if your company will provide DEMO (video) - how G2M works with guitars and voice-to-MIDI. Because the accuracy/speed of recognition is the main concern of the majority.
We are planning a demo video. In the meantime, some of our distributors and also quite a few users have posted videos to youtube (some of which are linked to on our site).
Also your clients need to know the black list - G2M-incompatible hardware, drivers, software, OS requirements, etc.
As mentioned, the G2M a fully compliant MIDI device. It is not a computer peripheral and doesn't need drivers etc. Any computer requirements will be dictated by whatever software package and MIDI interface are chosen.
drg

Post by drg »

There is no two-way communication between the G2M and a computer so the computer won't recognise the G2M automatically.
It is not a computer peripheral and doesn't need drivers etc.
Then, in my opinion, it is not possible to use the G2M and computer together because there is no way it can recognize it without drivers.

For example, my computer does not recognize my MIDI keyboard - M-Audio Ozone Academic, if the drivers are not loaded. Same is with Sibelius 5, GarageBand, etc. Then how can I use unrecognizable G2M?

P.S. You might be interested that Sibelius 6 offers a voice-to-notes feature - AudioScore. So, you may cooperate with the manufacturer of AudioScore and combine it with G2M. Agreed?
drg

Post by drg »

I saw G2M DEMO on youTube:

First - IT REQUIRES DRIVERS because in e.g. this sample GUITAR + SONUUS G2M = GUITARSYNTH they used it via their hardware which already has installed drivers.

It means your site missed vital information - G2M won't work with your computer if it is not connected to a MIDI device, which has installed drivers. It increases the indirect cost of G2M and your clients must know it.

In my opinion - the above means that hardware requirements are must be information on your web site. For the beginning, I suggest you just to collect all known reports about G2M-to-computer... and put in in one place under the tag - hardware requirements...
johnmc
Site Admin

Post by johnmc »

The G2M does not require drivers. If it did, we would supply them .. and we don't. It doesn't need a computer - you can connect it directly to other MIDI gear.

However, in order to interface the G2M to a computer you will need a MIDI interface of some sort, either a USB-MIDI one or something such as M-Audio audiophile soundcard which has a standard MIDI interface attached:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/A ... e2496.html

There are many other options, such as USB keyboard controllers with built-in MIDI interfaces (Your Ozone has MIDI out but not MIDI in unfortunately). Yes you may be right it increases the indirect cost, but you can buy a USB MIDI cable for $5 + shipping these days and the G2M isn't exactly expensive at $99.
BertAnt

Post by BertAnt »

drg wrote:I saw G2M DEMO on youTube:

First - IT REQUIRES DRIVERS because in e.g. this sample GUITAR + SONUUS G2M = GUITARSYNTH they used it via their hardware which already has installed drivers....
Whoa, don't be misleading here, the MIDI Interface IS the one that needed a driver. So if you're using USB MIDI cable, you need the driver for the cable, not G2M. And are you connecting your Ozone through USB or 5-pin MIDI cable ? If you're connecting through USB no wonder it needs drivers. Same with soundcards with MIDI In/Out, you need drivers for the soundcard, not for MIDI device(s) connected to it. FWIW, i've been using G2M with my old Korg X5, and as long as the X5 is recognized by the computer (which has drivers available freely on the net), the G2M is working without problem when i connect it to my computer through the X5 MIDI In.
drg wrote:...It means your site missed vital information - G2M won't work with your computer if it is not connected to a MIDI device, which has installed drivers. It increases the indirect cost of G2M and your clients must know it....
Hey, any MIDI devices won't work if you don't have MIDI Interface on your computer, so don't try to point to a direction that this is an exception for G2M only.
BertAnt

Post by BertAnt »

Anyway this thread just gives an idea : probably it'll be nice to have USB interface within G2M so the G2M will be much more simpler to be used with computers ;)