Faulty G2M?

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

ThePilgrim

Faulty G2M?

Post by ThePilgrim »

Hey there,

Sometime ago i bought a g2m converter. The first time i used it, i plug it on an akai miniak synth, and the sound from the synth was terrible. The notes weren't accurate, i mean i played a B note and it sounded like the synth was not tuned. The synth works perfect on it's own, and the guitars was perfectly tuned with all the tones down and on the neck pick up as recommented. Anyway, i thought i should set up the sonuus but i didn't have time to do it. Recently, due to the Christmas Holidays i decided to try it again and make it work properly, but it was the same as the last time, and further more i noticed that many times while i played a note the pitch was all over the place, it sounded like a terrible off tune arpeggio, it even couldn't hold the note. It does the same even with the soft synths on computer. I don't know how to fix it and i think that maybe it's faulty. I'm very disappointed :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
james
Site Admin

Re: Faulty G2M?

Post by james »

It's possible it's faulty. But it sounds like it could just be a mismatch between pitch-bend on the G2M and that on the synth. The G2M requires a synth to be set for a pitch-bend range of +/- 2 semitones. If it's different from this, it will sound out of tune, sometimes rather horribly.

Is it a V1 or V2 G2M? If V2, what happens in Chromatic mode compared to pitch-bend mode?

Can you use the tuner built in to the G2M? In other words, is it possible to tune notes to get a stable "power" LED?
ThePilgrim

Post by ThePilgrim »

Happy New Year!!!

I have the v1 g2m. I used the tuner. I didn't manage to get a stable power led on the notes, but it get pretty close. It was pulsing slowly and i tried the guitar and it was in tune. Is it a problem if i can't achive a stable led on the tuning? I mean if it was faulty the notes would be all over the place right?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Happy New Year too!

The tuning LED uses the same data what is sent as MIDI, so it you can get close to "in tune" with the LED, it indicates that everything should be working correctly.

Another thought: does the clip LED light? Can you make it light when playing hard? Does it make a difference (to CLIP, or MIDI performance) if BOOST is enabled or not?

So far it sounds likely that the internal audio-to-MIDI is working ok. Here's my thoughts on possible problems:

(1) A problem with the analogue front-end. Tuning LED and BOOST, an the CLIP LED let you check this. The tuning LED may not go perfectly stable, but you should be able to get it to stay steady for a few seconds when in tune.

(2) A problem with the MIDI out connector. As mentioned above, the same data is used to drive the tuning LED as is used to generate the MIDI pitch-bend messages. If the tuning LED is ok, the MIDI data is ok, but perhaps it's not getting to the cable reliably and it's getting corrupted. Is the MIDI LED flashing to indicate what's being sent? It should be off until you play something then it will light to show the note and pitch messages as they go.

(3) A problem with the synth setup?

Can you record some MIDI while you play a single note and watch the tuning LED? You should get a steady stream of pitch-bend messages that don't move much when the tuning LED is stable.
ThePilgrim

Post by ThePilgrim »

I checked my synth, and i saw that on different sounds it had different pitchwheel range. I thought that all the sounds was on +2 -2 range. So i corrrected the range and sonuus started to sound like how it should have. The tuning led doesn't stay stable for a few seconds when in tune but the sound is good and only sometimes gets off pitch, and on other g2m videos i saw the same response of the tuning led. When i switch to boost mode the clip led as i play is almost always on, no matter how hard i hit the strings. Anyway, when i used the g2m with vst's on some presets even though i corrected the pitch wheel range to +/- 2 the pitch wheel on the screen was moving on some occasions rapidly and on other it was pitch bending the note but the wheel stood still on the place it was bended (for example the note would be bended 1 semitone and would stay there). That was strange!!
Last edited by ThePilgrim on Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Great. Sounds like it's working correctly.

Certainly strange what you saw before with the pitch-bend wheel -- I can't explain that one.
ThePilgrim

Post by ThePilgrim »

James thank you very much for the support!!! BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!