G2M and midi software

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

gsbenghe

G2M and midi software

Post by gsbenghe »

Hi!
I want to buy a G2M for my electric violin.
I have a Stagg electric violin with 4 strings(normal).
I read the documents about G2M,so...
My question is:i plugg the instrument in the jack,after,i make the connection with my computer,with a "midi to usb" cable?It's OK?
I have 2 computers,on 32 and 64 bit.
On the 32 bit system,i have E-MU's Proteus X2 Streaming Sound Module,buy with a Xboard 49 midi controller.
So,if i connect violin,G2M with the PC,the software(Proteus) read the G2M like a midi controller?
The same thing: In Linux,in the midi software programs the G2M is read(see) like a midi controller?
Thanks in advance for the answers.GS.
james
Site Admin

Re: G2M and midi software

Post by james »

Yes, the G2M will look exactly like any other MIDI device (e.g., a MIDI keyboard). You can connect it using a midi-to-USB cable if you don't have any other MIDI input to connect it to. Most midi-to-USB cables will work with Windows, OSX and Linux, but you should check this before you buy to make sure (if they use standard "class-compliant" drivers, they should be ok).

The i2M musicport (http://www.sonuus.com/products_i2m_mp.html) has a direct USB connection to the computer so you can connect this directly without requiring a midi-to-USB cable. It also has more options to control the MIDI conversion than the G2M, which might be good for violin. In particular, you can change the pitch-bend range so that long note slides can be tracked smoothly using pith bend (the G2M is fixed at 2 semitones as the maximum bend range).

Both G2M and i2M work well with violin, but you need to take care how you play. Please read this post which has some useful info for you:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=404