G2M v2 hangs on some notes

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

octavedoctor

G2M v2 hangs on some notes

Post by octavedoctor »

Hi--I've had a G2M v2 since around christmas, I've tried it on both mac and windows and keep having the same problem--it eventually gets stuck on a note and won't release. Sometimes it will stop the note if I unplug the guitar, sometimes not. I've checked the tuning on my chromatic tuner, new strings, different guitars
and I still get these hangups--new battery did help somewhat.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not very experienced with MIDI, but I've never had this happen with my keyboards. I've used the G2M v2 with NI SampleTank2.5, KORE Player. and with the instruments in GarageBand 08.

Thanks for any help.
james
Site Admin

Re: G2M v2 hangs on some notes

Post by james »

The G2M itself won't give stuck notes. The design guarantees that the last note is turned off before a new note is played. However, stuck notes can still happen if, for example, you unplug the guitar from the G2M while it's playing a note because this will power-off the G2M before it has a chance to send the required note-off.

When you power-up the G2M it always sends an "All Notes Off" MIDI Message, so if you do get stuck notes a quick way to fix it can be to unplug the guitar from the G2M and then plug it back in again (to power the G2M off then on).

Stuck notes can also arise from MIDI messages getting lost after they leave the G2M. This can happen if there is a problem with the MIDI cable. Also, if you are using a USB-MIDI converter to connect the G2M to your computer, somethings these can go wrong and cause problems.

Are you using the same software to run Sample Tank etc? e.g., all plug-ins to a sequencer, or are they separate stand-alone apps? Just wondering if there is a common piece of software that could be causing the problem, for example by having a "note hold" feature enabled somewhere you have not noticed.
octavedoctor

Post by octavedoctor »

Back Again--I went back through my storage cabinet and found my old M-Audio UNO interface and tried that, now it's working like it's supposed to!!!!

When I ordered the G2M v2 I ordered a new MIDI cable along with it to avoid this sort of thing, so I guess the cable was bad from the start. That'll teach me, lol.

Thanks again for the helpful reply, now I must get back to tinkering.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Great to hear it's working correctly now. Have fun!
directory

Post by directory »

I have had this for 2 years now and mine works perfectly fine. I know that the last note is turned off before a new note is played in this and this increases the products speed. I haven’t had a lag or a hang for 2 years. Thank you!