Bowed instrument waveforms

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

3DForms

Bowed instrument waveforms

Post by 3DForms »

Will the G2M accept the waveforms of a single string from a piezo or mic'd sound of a bowed instrument such as a cello, bass or violin? if so would damping or filtering the overtones help?
james
Site Admin

Re: Bowed instrument waveforms

Post by james »

Yes, this can work.

However, you need to watch the start of the note. If this contains unmusical sounds (i.e., tones not harmonically related to the note to be played, especially if these sounds are percussive) it can cause some problems with the note-detection because it assumes it's going to receive a plucked note from a stringed instrument.

Saying that, even with such "noises" it will usually recover and only cause a small "glitch" at the start of the note. Once the bowed note is sustaining there should be no problems.

Speed of tracking can also be an issue if the bowed notes swell up slowly because it has to wait until the note is above a certain level before it will be detected.

There's more discussion about violin at the following post, using the i2M musicport (the same applies to the G2M, but the i2M has more options to configure its behaviour): viewtopic.php?f=19&t=404