Huge help needed! Latancy / tracking issues

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

eamf

Re: Huge help needed! Latancy / tracking issues

Post by eamf »

I'll replace the strings and test again.
eamf

Post by eamf »

Hi, I'm back :)
I replaced the strings with a new set and the tracking issues are much better.
But the real problem is latency and the failures when receiving messages. So, I figured that it could be some sort of power problem since the FCB1010 is working ok but the G2M is not.
As I explained before, my sound card is the M-Audio Fast Track interface (USB). The only USB devices connected to my pc are the Fast Track and the Midisport Uno. I disconnected the Fast Track and immediately start having better performance from the G2M/Midisport. Still with a highly noticeable latency but much less failures (although still with several problems, especially with "note off"). I reconnected the Fast Track and the performance gradually degraded to previous state (it took about 3 minutes to get back to the initial state...). I'm using the back USB ports.

Any thoughts?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Are you using the FastTrack for audio in/out?

When you don't use the FastTrack, what device are you using for audio?

Can you record a test. Connect the guitar to the G2M, then from the G2M THRU connection to the FastTrack audio in. Also, connect the G2M MIDI to your Uno. On your software, record both an audio track and a MIDI track so that you can get a recording of both the original audio from the G2M and the MIDI at the same time. This will let you see what timing difference you get between the two (they should be very close together).

See what happens when you do this and get back to me.
eamf

Post by eamf »

Yes, I'm using Fast track for audio In/Out.
I don't have other sound card (the embedded card is disabled on the BIOS). When I did the previous test I just monitored MIDI with MIDI-Ox.
I attached the test results (on 3 post because of the size limit). In the file you will find the Reaper project, the midi file and the corresponding wav file.
Attachments
G2M_test.part1.rar
(250 KiB) Downloaded 786 times
eamf

Post by eamf »

part 2
Attachments
G2M_test.part2.rar
(250 KiB) Downloaded 704 times
eamf

Post by eamf »

part 3 (last)
Attachments
G2M_test.part3.rar
(141.31 KiB) Downloaded 684 times
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Thank you for sending these files, it's very helpful.

The MIDI is obviously not working correctly. At the start, there are several notes, some of which overlap others, others start at exactly the same time. It's not possible for the G2M to send overlapping notes, nor to send a new note before turning off the old one.

So, either some problem with the MIDI connector on the G2M (but you wiggled it and there was no change), or another connection issue, or a problem (hardware/driver) with the Uno?

Have you used your foot controller to send MIDI notes (it can be configured to do this) and see if this appears to be working correctly when connected to the Uno.

Where are you located, if we need to swap you a replacement G2M? You can PM this to me if you prefer.
eamf

Post by eamf »

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you with the FCB1010 sending notes test. It seems to work fine.
I also forgot to mention (maybe this would have helped) that i bought a refurbished unit from Sonuus Ebay store. I don't have the unit woth me right now but the box has a sticker (maybe the serial number?) with the number 1103002. The invoice number is 332 (Sep 25, 2012). Can you track my address with this info?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The refurbished unit should be ok (we check them all before shipping them), but in case there is a problem I think we will send you another G2M to replace the one you have so you can try this to see if it solves the problem. We will thoroughly check it before sending it to you so you know it is ok. This might not happen until next week (the person who deals with this is not available today).
eamf

Post by eamf »

Ok. No problem.
Thank you