g2m (v1) does not produce stable notes

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

Keesdrumnbass

g2m (v1) does not produce stable notes

Post by Keesdrumnbass »

Hello,
I just bought (2nd hand) a g2m (v1). I was already quite satisfied with a i2m, but needed an audio to midi convertor without a computer. That's why I thought a g2m would be the way to go. However....

- Why doesn't the g2m produce the note that i am playing? The A (440Hz) seems alright. But other notes are horrible off tune. However the i2m (on guitar setting) does produce the correct note. This makes a really crazy. Even recorded both midi signals in Cubase and it does differ very significantly. Is there something that I could do to improve performance of the g2m. I've tried neck fret and playing with hands and playing without clipping.

best regards,
Kees Balde
james
Site Admin

Re: g2m (v1) does not produce stable notes

Post by james »

How far off tune is it? Even if it gets the note wrong, it should still use pitch bend to bend the note back to the correct pitch, so the actual pitch you hear should be similar on the G2MV1, and the i2M, even if the note isn't the same.
Keesdrumnbass

Post by Keesdrumnbass »

If i play an d on an a-string, it could recognize an d♭ on midi (in cubase). I've an Fender Stratocaster, and I have used the neck pickup.

It gets even crazier when the midi is translated to controlled voltage, and then controls my minimoog. It does produce even weirder sounds, and very off tone... :( Could this be caused by the pitch bend settings on my minimoog model d, being standard -5/+5 semitones?

Thanks in advance,
Kees
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I do think it's the pitch-bend setting on the minimoog. If the G2M is getting the note flat by 1 semitone, it will bend it back by 1 semitone, which corresponds to half of the pitch-bend range. On the minimoog, it will get the Db and bend it up by half of it's semitone range (2.5 semitones), so you end up with a note half-way between an Eb and an E).

Even if the note on the G2M is correct, you would end up with pitch changes that were 2.5 times more than you expect, so vibrato and bends would be more extreme that you intend them to be.

The i2M can be set to match the pitch-bend range of the minimoog, but that's USB of course. I've been experimenting with one of these devices that lets you connect USB devices like the i2M to hardware MIDI -- it works very well:

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/ ... host.shtml
Keesdrumnbass

Post by Keesdrumnbass »

Thanks a lot. I don't even know if the old minimoog model d does accept pitchbend notes. The kenton device would work, I presume.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Yes, the Kenton device should work. I tested the i2M with a Novation K-Station synth -- it worked perfectly.