Compatibility with iPad MIDI / Audio

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

Min119

Re: Compatibility with iPad MIDI / Audio

Post by Min119 »

james wrote:Apple have released their new iOS (4.2) for iPad, and we can confirm that the i2M musicport MIDI works with this. Using the free "MIDI Monitor" application, you can see that it works correctly. This should also work on the iPhone4, but we've not tested that yet.

To connect the i2M musicport to the iPad, you need the "USB Camera Connection Kit".
ipad 2 cases
Audio input from the i2M musicport also works on the iPad, and has done since iOS 3.2.

Seems little to understand what u wanted to say as I never used ipad2, But I believe I pad3 is better.
Ignitor

Post by Ignitor »

Just got the iPad camera kit for my iPad2

The i2m works brilliantly with the iPad Garageband (both audio and midi!) without powered USB hub.

I did a quick song with both audio and midi guitars and then transferred it to my mac via iTunes.

Opened the song in Logic Pro and turned off the guitar amp and pedals to listen to the clean recorded sound.
I used Steinberger Synapse guitar with the piezos to get the idea of the high end and noise. It sounds VERY good!

So finally a Pro way to have a light mobile unit to start on your songs and then move them into Logic Pro finish them up.

Absolutely Fantastic :ugeek:
acaonweb

Post by acaonweb »

just a question: no problem with the ios error about power consumption?
Mani MIDI keaboards needs to pass through a powered USB HUB, since iOS 4.2 and more...
Can u confirm that with iOS it works without power consume issues?
Thanx in advance.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

It's certainly not a problem on the iPad 1, I can't confirm about the iPad2 because I don't have one. Maybe Ignitor can confirm there are no power issues?
Josh

Post by Josh »

I plugged in my guitar to the i2m then into a camera converter kit then into my iPad mini, and turned on garage band. I can't get it to work. I plug my headphones into the iPad mini and it won't pick up my guitar but will pick up my voice and any other noises other than my guitar. The color of the sonuus I2m is solid green or I change it to flashing green and there is no difference. It seems like it is using my guitar pick ups as a microphone for everything else. Not only that but I turn up the headphone volume to max and can barely hear my guitar but when I talk at a normal volume it sounds like I'm yelling (because somehow my voice is getting picked up from my guitar and is being amplified by GarageBand). Please help! This is very frustrating. I see all these cool videos on YouTube of someone playing their guitar thru their iPad mini and mine just won't work.

-Josh
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

What guitar pickups have you got? They are not usually that microphonic (unless they are actually microphones for an acoustic guitar, that is).

I wonder if it's not using the i2M input, but using the built-in microphone of the iPad? If that's the case, putting your finger over the microphone port(s) on the iPad should reduce the input signal to verify that's what's happening.

Any other apps running? Could something be interfering with the normal audio routing that the iPad does? When you connect an audio device to the dock connector, that takes priority. I don't even know if it is possible for another app to override that.

Does disconnecting/reconnecting the i2M/camera kit, have any effect?

Finally, it's always worth doing a full power off of the iPad, then rebooting it. Sometimes you see rare problems and it's fixed by this, never to happen again.
exliontamer

Post by exliontamer »

Apologies if this has been answered before...

I have managed to get my i2m working with Garageband on an ipad mini. However the signal is massively overdriven (which may be useful in certain instances). Is there a way to control the gain of the i2m whilst using it with an ipad? Do you have to set the gain level using the specific app?

Or does the i2m desktop editor save the settings to the port itself? If I change the gain settings using the desktop editor and save it will the gain level be the same on iOS as Windows? I'm slightly confused. Is the purpose of the save functionality to simply allow a user to set a number of presets? Are the changes made to the i2m automatically adjusted?

I hope this makes sense?!

Thanks

James
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The editor will store the changes on the i2M itself, so once saved, you can use these on the iPad.

Regarding gain, there is 24dB of gain available on the i2M. This is controlled either by the standard "volume control" that OSX/Windows, etc can use to adjust the volume, or by the i2M editor. If you use the i2M editor, the gain is shown in dB (see this screenshot -- pre-amp gain at the top-right http://www.sonuus.com/images/i2M-desktop-setup1.png).

If you use the editor and enable "exclusive" the USB volume control will be disabled. This is useful if you want to be sure what the pre-amp gain is set to, and knowing it won't change.

If you keep "exclusive" off, the normal USB volume control will still work.

I think the input level control in GarageBand will control the i2M's gain. Certainly try this. If this isn't working, use the editor and set the gain to minimum (slider far left) and enable exclusive. Then you know the preamp gain is at minimum.
exliontamer

Post by exliontamer »

Ok, so if I change the gain on the desktop editor say down to -9dB, that amount of gain will be present when I plug it into the ipad? Does the gain selector on garageband modify this level of gain (as you would using the volume input on windows) or multiply another level of gain on top? e.g. -9db multiplied by XdB? Either way I managed to get some sound out of my guitar so that's a good place to start.

However on the MIDI front, the ipad (or garageband) was making a bit of a racket when I was using the MIDI signal. I was using chromatic mode with a grand piano and the i2m was not tracking my notes at all. At times I would repeat the exact same notes but different ones would come out to the previous ones. It seemed to do the same thing with the bass guitar emulator and pitch bend mode. Do I need to alter some settings on the desktop editor?

There is likely to be many more questions but I am extremely appreciative of your help!

James
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Ok, so if I change the gain on the desktop editor say down to -9dB, that amount of gain will be present when I plug it into the ipad? Does the gain selector on garageband modify this level of gain (as you would using the volume input on windows) or multiply another level of gain on top? e.g. -9db multiplied by XdB? Either way I managed to get some sound out of my guitar so that's a good place to start.
I don't know exactly what GarageBand does. It may use the i2Ms volume control, or it may simply apply another level of gain on top.

If you enable "exclusive" volume control on the i2M editor, the volume/gain you set (e.g., -9dB) can't be changed over USB (other than using the editor), so this gives you the best way to set a fixed gain without worrying that it will be changed. Windows, and OSX remember the volume setting you use, so each time you connect the i2M it will set the volume back to this level -- often this is useful, sometimes it's not. That's why "exclusive" mode was added to bypass this setting to ensure you always know the level is set correctly. So I suggest you enable "exclusive" in the editor.
However on the MIDI front, the ipad (or garageband) was making a bit of a racket when I was using the MIDI signal. I was using chromatic mode with a grand piano and the i2m was not tracking my notes at all. At times I would repeat the exact same notes but different ones would come out to the previous ones. It seemed to do the same thing with the bass guitar emulator and pitch bend mode. Do I need to alter some settings on the desktop editor?
You shouldn't need to adjust settings on the editor -- the default settings are good. Most problems are caused by playing technique, and learning to play a little cleaner than normal. Please see this video for a quick overview of what you should and shouldn't do: http://youtu.be/0YGMZs72Gmk