i2M playing on extrenal midi device yamaha

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

janhr

i2M playing on extrenal midi device yamaha

Post by janhr »

Hello for everyone.

I bought the i2M musicport and I want use it for vocal played on external midi USB device Yamaha DTX multi 12 which support GM standard (127 instruments) and other own samples.

Maybe I am stupid because I don't know haw to setup musicport software and configure windows XP. The scheme of connection is: MIC -> i2M -> PC (USB cable) and PC -> Yamaha (USB cable). Drivers for Yamaha are installed and everything goes well (midi songs are played on Yamaha instead on PC). But I don't know how configure the whole system for external device on which I want play the sound.

I am apologize for my English, I am from Czech republic.

Thank you very much for your help.

Jan (John)
james
Site Admin

Re: i2M playing on extrenal midi device yamaha

Post by james »

If you are using sequencer software, you can usually configure that so any MIDI from an input (in this case the i2M) can be sent to an output (PC USB Cable).

If running stand-alone, you need some software to do this for you. Midi Ox will let you do this: http://www.midiox.com/
janhr

Post by janhr »

james wrote:If you are using sequencer software, you can usually configure that so any MIDI from an input (in this case the i2M) can be sent to an output (PC USB Cable).

If running stand-alone, you need some software to do this for you. Midi Ox will let you do this: http://www.midiox.com/
Hello James.

Thank You for your answer. It's a big pity that is no possible use i2M stand alone like B2M or G2M for vocal. I tried the Midiox but the setup is very huge and I didn't receive any good result. I have installed the FL studio 9, but I am not able rape it to play only in one instrument. For each note play different instrument. The same situation is in the Cakewalk 8. If I can change the instrument i cakewalk the sound is lost or freezed (continuous sound of one note). If I change something in Sonuus software the situation is the same and converter is not working. I try it on different PC (winXP and win7) and the result is the same. I am disillusioned and I am thinking about returning of commodity to main seller:-(. I need useful tool for simply changing my vocal to sound in my Yamaha DTX 12 multi. I thing that the best improving of your i2M musicport software is implementation of easy setup MIDI IN (i2M of course) and MIDI out device, include an instrument in GM or different standard.

I tried everything only with software sequencer for bugs elimination.

Thank you for your answer.

Jan (John)
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Hello Jan,

In MIDI-OX, you should only need to do the following:

(1) From Options menu, select "MIDIDevice".
(2) Ensure "Automatically attach Inputs to Outputs during selection" is selected on the bottom of the dialog.
(3) Select the i2M musicport as the MIDI Input, and select your MIDI device as the output device. When you do this a connection should show up in the "Port Mapping" window.
(4) Press OK, and now anything received on the i2M will be sent to your MIDI device.

Changing software instruments during playback should work, but it depends on how the instrument/sequencer handles any notes that are currently being played. Using the i2M software (or the i2M's button to change presets) should work. When an i2M preset is changed, it turns off all existing notes before changing the MIDI channel so you shouldn't be left with stuck notes. Have you updated the i2M musicport with the latest firmware? There was a bug in some early firmware versions that could give you stuck notes when you change a preset.