i2m on acoustics

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

james
Site Admin

Re: i2m on acoustics

Post by james »

With the preamp gain, the operating system (Windows, OSX etc) can control it using the OS's volume control. However, sometimes when you reconnect the device the operating system ignores the existing gain setting and overrides it with the last gain setting you used on that computer. So, if you use the i2M editor to set the gain, the next time you connect to the computer, it will change it without you realising. The OS shouldn't do this if it fully follows the USB Audio specs, but unfortunately subtle details like this are often ignored.

So, we added an "exclusive" option that prevents the OS volume control being able to control the gain, and you have to do it through the i2M editor instead. If you're using the editor, I would recommend enabling exclusive so you always know what the gain is set to.
braguesa

Post by braguesa »

Today, I tried i2m on my desktop and midi latency was way better. Does it have any influence, beeing on desktop or laptop?
Didn't notice any differrence on audio side, only on midi. My desktop has XP installed and windows 7 on laptop. Maybe drivers issues?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

There shouldn't be any noticeable difference between operating systems, but so much happens after the MIDI message leaves the i2M that it is possible that it gets held up by the OS for some reason. So it's possible, but if it happens, I don't know how to fix it. It could be another driver causing problems.

The biggest difference we see is with audio latency, but you said that seems ok.
braguesa

Post by braguesa »

Maybe 32 or 64 bit windows has any influence?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

32 or 64-bit shouldn't make a difference.

The only time I've experienced such problems is with laptops that don't have built-in audio that supports low-latency. Even on those, using a good external USB audio interface fixes any latency problems.
braguesa

Post by braguesa »

like a boss micro br80?
braguesa

Post by braguesa »

Strange, midi keyboard has no noticeable latency on my system. Isn't it a normal midi device? The midi test note is perfect too!
braguesa

Post by braguesa »

Made some more tests with my boss micro br80 (ASIO) and same results. There must be a midi driver issue with i2m, for shure. Fixed on next firmware, maybe.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Are you saying that i2M Latency Test mode is ok too (no obvious latency)?
braguesa

Post by braguesa »

Yes, it is! Light and audio it's in perfect synch.