I2M and Feedback Loops?

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

NastyNarwhal

I2M and Feedback Loops?

Post by NastyNarwhal »

So, I am an avant-garde multi-instrumentalist/composer (working on my bachelors degrees in Horn performance and Music Composition). Earlier, I got the idea to hook up a few of my guitar effect pedals into a loop and run the headphone out on my amp into the I2M to record organized feedback chaos as midi data and arrange it for a saxophone quartet. Basically what I'm doing is-

Using a distortion pedal with 2 outputs (effected out, and another one that sends out the dry signal sent into the pedal), I run the effect output into the instrument input of another pedal, run through 2 more, and then back into the original distortion pedal. Then, the dry output of this pedal goes to the amp. So, turning the distortion on creates noise clipping, and using it in combination with an envelope filter and delay, i am able to get a ridiculous variety of 8-bit sounding noises, rhythmic loops, etc- WITHOUT using any sort of instrument at the beginning of the chain. I am able to get definite pitches and hold those out for the sake of testing if the midi data is being sent.

Now, when I turn my amp on, it is not difficult to increase the volume of the induced feedback to the point that the house is shaking. However, the I2M will not pick up any of these noises, even if I go from 0-100% volume in an instant. No clipping on the I2M or anything. However, when I unplug the jack from the output on my amp, the I2M clips and sends data from the metal touching the jack, so I know that there has to be noise traveling from the amp that the Sonuus isn't picking up. I've tried using it with both FL Studio and Finale, and neither will work. Is there a way I can increase the sensitivity of the I2M to the point where it will pick up this noise?
PaulK

Re: I2M and Feedback Loops?

Post by PaulK »

Have you tried to amplify the signal before it goes into the i2M?

Maybe the amps/speakers are creating the feedback, and the signal is still clean??

PS you sound even crazier than I am...