Guitar Issue=Sonuus Issue + Latency

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

vhoot

Guitar Issue=Sonuus Issue + Latency

Post by vhoot »

My guitar is not set up perfect, few fret buzz, but the tuning is fine.When I play, maybe I need time to get used to it, some notes are off. I hit C and it plays C# or even D in some case, maybe because of the guitar setup? In that case, it is important to remember that the guitar needs in perfect intonation,tuning,no fret buzz which are not always possible. And the latency does not help either. I swear the same audio interface is faster with a midi keyboard than using sonuus. My interface shows 3ms which is barely detectable with my keyboard, but not with Sonuus. It feel more like few seconds off (1-2 sec). Does sonuus add its own latency beside the interface?
I use it with Reason 4 and Ableton 7. Can hardly play like a keyboard in terms of speed an accuracy.
johnmc
Site Admin

Re: Guitar Issue=Sonuus Issue + Latency

Post by johnmc »

We're not sure why you are seeing incorrect pitch detection. Is the clip LED lighting? What sort of guitar and pickups is it and how have you set the BOOST switch? You may find improved response if you use the neck pickup (if there is one).
Regarding the latency, 1-2s is huge. The G2M has a latency of 16-30ms depending on what note is played so the issue must be within the MIDI/audio interface settings on the computer. What is the interface that you are using?
vhoot

Post by vhoot »

The clip lights once a while (I mean very fwe times) and I have the boost off. I use an Ibanez, play it on neck pick up, with the tone control all the way down. What does this boost do?
johnmc
Site Admin

Post by johnmc »

The boost switch is used for guitars which have low output single-coil pickups. The clip led lighting occasionally is ok.
kbrunkhorst

Post by kbrunkhorst »

johnmc wrote: Regarding the latency, 1-2s is huge. The G2M has a latency of 16-30ms depending on what note is played so the issue must be within the MIDI/audio interface settings on the computer. What is the interface that you are using?
I thought I'd seize on that quote, because it's relevant to my situation: I'm using the G2M running into a Sony Window Laptop w/ Vista. The whole point in buying this was so I could use it to input data into Finale 2009. I get latency of over 150ms. I can't sync with Finale's click-track, even with Finale's settings adjusted. Finale can 'delay' the input stream, but I still have a wide spread between the playing of a note and my hearing of it. Until I can figure out how to fix this (and the Finale people don't have much info, having not seen this device before), it's pretty much unusable for me.

Regarding pitch fidelity: I've tried several different guitars: a PRS with piezo-electric pickups seems to be the best for me so far. Guitars with lots of overtones are the worst.

Kevin
johnmc
Site Admin

Post by johnmc »

Hi Kevin,

We suspect your latency problem is due to the audio driver settings in the
PC. Are you able to change settings via finale? Depending on your soundcard
type, it may have an ASIO driver that you can select to use and this
normally allows you to select the audio 'buffer' size and this determines
the latency .The smaller the buffer size is, the lower the latency, however
please note that if you set the latency too low for your computer you may
run into problems with audio clicks and pops appearing if the computer is
not able to run at extremely low latency (this normally depends on the
processing power of the computer).

We recommend using asio4all (http://www.asio4all.com/). This provides a very
good interface to your soundcard drivers and lets you adjust the buffer
sizes to change latency.
BertAnt

Post by BertAnt »

I'm curious about Asio4All, is it better than dedicated ASIO drivers written specifically for the audio card ? Or does it support ASIO Multimedia and ASIO DirectX only ? Anyway, for latency the best is testing using a keyboard through MIDI i guess, see if the keyboard also suffers high latency.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Asio4All is only required:

(1) if your sound card doesn't already have ASIO drivers; and
(2) your software supports ASIO drivers.

If you already have ASIO drivers, it's better to use the ones provided by your hardware manufacturer.

Regarding latency, a MIDI keyboard is useful to check what's going on. You should get similar performance with the G2M and a with keyboard, with just slightly more latency with the G2M. Another good test is using a hardware sound module or synth because there usually have very low MIDI latencies and the G2M will generally feel more responsive using these.
BertAnt

Post by BertAnt »

Thanks James ! Now i'm confident using my Creative ASIO :)
wade1davis

Post by wade1davis »

Has any one used the Sonuus with Logic Pro 8
What about playing bottom end like the presets inside Logic Pro for example (Producer Bass ) surely this Sonuus is not as accurate as a Midi keyboard.
There has bound to be some delay when playing individual string then moving to another string.

I have used a previous device that needed a pick up on my guitar which went through a foot pedal and then went through my Edirol sound card and into Logic and that was worth throwing in the bin but I was lucky to send it back to the seller as it did not do exactly what was written on the box.
This device relied on the vibration of the strings which then was converted to midi so if the Sonuus does the same thing then we have the same related problem ..........