New Board ft. Voluum ... praise, bugs and questions

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

james
Site Admin

Re: New Board ft. Voluum ... praise, bugs and questions

Post by james »

Canbaz, yes that's a fair point. It's certainly easy to change it back to the old behaviour.

If it was possible to change this so you were able to tune while in edit mode, you would also loose the ability to cancel edits by using the footswitch.
sascha

Post by sascha »

Dear James (and all),

here comes my first Demo video featuring the Voluum, running on the 1.5.2 version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OP95vVoBTQ

Since the effect enable/disable functionality is still quirky in 1.5.2, I reprogrammed all my ES-5 patches. Now, each patch sends a program change and at least 6 CC commands to the Voluum:
[*]CC=102 at 127 to make sure the Voluum is switched on
[*]CC=84 at 0 to make sure the Tuner is off
[*]CC=79, 80, 81, and 82 at either 0 or 127, to turn on/off the Gate/Compressor/LFO/Volume function on the Voluum as desired

This works quite well and lets me do what I want: Have a basic Voluum preset (P00) that I use for most of my ES-5 patches, and turn on/off effect blocks as needed. And being able to turn on/off the effect blocks manually with ES-5 assigns.

When I change from my tuner patch (that sends the Voluum in Mute/Tune mode via CC 84) to certain other ES-5 patches, however, I still get unexpected behaviour: Certain effect blocks are on while they should be off and vice versa. I have to select another none-tuner patch first, then go back to the patch I want, to make it work correctly.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

That is a fantastic video. What an amazing sound (and great playing too!)

I will relook at the MIDI control issues for you, but it will have to wait until next month until I can free up some time.
kpoole

Post by kpoole »

Hi James and other Voluum users,

Rather than start a new thread, I figure I'd post on this older one because some of the things I want to know about are explored, at least tangentially, here...

I've been reading through the latest support documents and the Voluum forum trying to find out a couple of things re. setting up the Voluum with my (new) ES-5 but I'm not getting far in wrapping my know-how and limited MIDI skills around some things...I'm fine with basic PC messages but not much beyond this. Here's what I want to find out about:

1. I'd like to reconfigure the Mute switch on my ES-5 so that it sends a MIDI command to the Voluum to set it into its Tuner function. Ideally everything else in the signal chain would be bypassed as well. Is this possible and can anyone talk me through this process? Is there a MIDI CC# for the Voluum to go into Tuner mode? I can't see it explicitly set out anywhere.

2. I want to be able to create presets on the ES-5 that effectively turn the Voluum into an expression pedal controller, sending MIDI to any of the other pedals I have connected via a MIDI chain from my ES-5. I have my MIDI set-up like this: ES-5 MIDI Out > Voluum (Channel One) > Chase Bliss Condor (Channel Two) > Chase Bliss Brothers (Channel Three, both Chase Bliss pedals are connected via their MIDIBox) > Mobius (Channel Four) > TimeLine (Channel Five) > BigSky (Channel Six) > Ditto x4 (Channel 7, for MIDI Clock functionality).

I think I understand that I need to select a preset on the Voluum that doesn't use the pedal for any control and/or uses the Preset Bypass function. Am I correct about this? If so, this is the basic version of what I'm assuming I need to do (though I feel it's way more complicated than this): (1) make a MIDI patch on the ES-5 to select the appropriate preset on the Voluum, and (2) configure the Voluum preset so that it sends MIDI data on to the relevant pedal I want to control. Is this correct?

Here's a more detailed example (with the complicated bits added in): Say I want to use the Voluum as a wah controller with the Mobius. I could send a MIDI PC message from my ES-5 selecting the F02 preset (some gentle compression). In the Voluum Editor I could configure the F02 preset to send MIDI data on Channel Four (the Mobius) - like I stated above. Now the tricky bit - the MIDI patch on the ES-5, selecting the Voluum preset, would also need to include an additional PC message for the Mobius calling up a useful filter preset for the Voluum to 'express' on as a wah. But where do I make the settings for the Mobius to know what to do with the MIDI data it's receiving from the Voluum? On the ES-5? I'd at least need to turn on the Loop for the Mobius in the same ES-5 patch. Or do I do it from the Voluum editor?

If anyone can take me through the process of setting this up step by step, I'd be eternally grateful.

3. I recall seeing another post asking about the ability to use the Voluum to send MIDI signals that are envelope-based. In the same way that the Voluum can send MIDI data to express another device via the pedal controller, is it possible to have the Voluum send out MIDI data that is envelope-based? I could, for example, use this to make a fantastic touch wah with the Condor (which can already be a fantastic auto-wah). Or maybe send envelope data to the TimeLine so that my delay feedback, say, increased with harder picking. Dozens of potentially wonderful options suggest themselves...

Thanks for any assistance you can provide...
Kim
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Hello Kim,

You have a nice setup there! And lots of questions; I'll try to answer most of them. I don't have the other pedals so I can't comment on exactly what needs to be done there, but hopefully someone else can help out on that.

Make sure you have the latest Voluum firmware installed and the latest editor because some of the features were added in the latest updates.
1. I'd like to reconfigure the Mute switch on my ES-5 so that it sends a MIDI command to the Voluum to set it into its Tuner function. Ideally everything else in the signal chain would be bypassed as well. Is this possible and can anyone talk me through this process? Is there a MIDI CC# for the Voluum to go into Tuner mode? I can't see it explicitly set out anywhere.
On the "midi" tab of the Voluum editor, under "effect enable controllers" you can choose a MIDI controller that will enable/disable the tuner.
2. I want to be able to create presets on the ES-5 that effectively turn the Voluum into an expression pedal controller, sending MIDI to any of the other pedals I have connected via a MIDI chain from my ES-5. I have my MIDI set-up like this: ES-5 MIDI Out > Voluum (Channel One) > Chase Bliss Condor (Channel Two) > Chase Bliss Brothers (Channel Three, both Chase Bliss pedals are connected via their MIDIBox) > Mobius (Channel Four) > TimeLine (Channel Five) > BigSky (Channel Six) > Ditto x4 (Channel 7, for MIDI Clock functionality).

I think I understand that I need to select a preset on the Voluum that doesn't use the pedal for any control and/or uses the Preset Bypass function. Am I correct about this? If so, this is the basic version of what I'm assuming I need to do (though I feel it's way more complicated than this): (1) make a MIDI patch on the ES-5 to select the appropriate preset on the Voluum, and (2) configure the Voluum preset so that it sends MIDI data on to the relevant pedal I want to control. Is this correct?
Yes. You can create a preset on the Voluum that has all the effects turned off (or has some static effects that don't use the expression pedal). Each preset can override the MIDI channel and controller that is used to send the MIDI expression, so you can create several presets that each send a different MIDI controller which may be useful if you want to direct the control to different pedals: you can then do it from the Voluum side rather than the receiving pedal side.

The Voluum can also send MIDI expression when it is bypassed, but you need to enable this option on the "midi" tab of the editor.

3. I recall seeing another post asking about the ability to use the Voluum to send MIDI signals that are envelope-based. In the same way that the Voluum can send MIDI data to express another device via the pedal controller, is it possible to have the Voluum send out MIDI data that is envelope-based? I could, for example, use this to make a fantastic touch wah with the Condor (which can already be a fantastic auto-wah). Or maybe send envelope data to the TimeLine so that my delay feedback, say, increased with harder picking. Dozens of potentially wonderful options suggest themselves...
Currently, this isn't implemented. It's still on the feature-request list though, so maybe in the future.

James