i2m Musicport MacOS Software 64-bit?

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

rhodesyman

i2m Musicport MacOS Software 64-bit?

Post by rhodesyman »

Hi there,

I'm a Mac user and the i2m Musicport is an integral part of my live setup. I've just read that Apple won't be supporting 32-bit apps with their next OS, and I see that the Musicport app is only 32-bit.

Do you have any plans to update this software to 64-bit so that we can still configure the i2m with future Mac OS's?

If not, is there another way to configure the i2m settings without using the app? Command line/xml files or whatever... as long as it's possible that'd be a big help!

Thanks.
treelemon

Re: i2m Musicport MacOS Software 64-bit?

Post by treelemon »

I am also very curious to hear more about this. I just found out about this issue it the hard way.

Glad I haven't updated my laptop yet!
kipface

Post by kipface »

Hi,

Upgraded to Catalina without checking this, and am now unable to use my i2m at all.

Would love an update on this from Sonuus, already looking at alternative options but the audio-to-MIDI function is pretty rare to find.

Note that the Windows version support 64-bit and 32-bit operating systems, so presumably it shouldn't be too hard to sort out.
rhodesyman

Post by rhodesyman »

I haven't updated to Catalina yet as I've quite a few apps that are 32-bit still, and I'm waiting for some updates first. But if the i2m software is not going to get an update due to it being discontinued (shame!), I'm wondering if it'll still work via a virtual install of an older Mac OS? So maybe you could use something like Parallels and install a small Mojave virtual machine on it, then maybe that will still work for the i2m software?
janramos

Post by janramos »

kipface wrote:Hi,

Upgraded to Catalina without checking this, and am now unable to use my i2m at all.
google street view
Would love an update on this from Sonuus, already looking at alternative options but the audio-to-MIDI function is pretty rare to find.

Note that the Windows version support 64-bit and 32-bit operating systems, so presumably it shouldn't be too hard to sort out.
Thanks for the quick response, and information.
rolego

Post by rolego »

Dear Sonuus

Are there any plans to release a version of the musicport editor that runs on Mac OSX Catalina?

I would be glad to hear from you.

Cheers,
Roland
rhodesyman

Post by rhodesyman »

If it helps anyone, I installed Parallels with a virtual copy of Mac OS High Sierra. Then installed the Sonuus software on the virtual machine. Works a treat! Bit of a pain that it’s not supporting 64-bit, but this is a workaround for anyone that’s stuck.
rolego

Post by rolego »

Thanks for sharing.
Even if I think it's not reasonable to install a whole VM with an Operating System, just because Sonuus is not willing to recompile their tools.
Besides this they are today selling the I2M but it wouldn't work on Catalina. They state it's compatible with "10.5 and above".
Is this company still alive?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

just because Sonuus is not willing to recompile their tools
Unfortunately, it's not that simple. If we just had to re-compile as a 64-bit application that would be trivial. Apple removed several frameworks that the editor requires, so it is not a simple job to make it work. We are evaluating options for this, but it may require the OSX version of the editor to be rewritten from the beginning. So currently we don't have a timeline for when this will be complete because it is not a simple change. But we are making some progress.

Of course, the Windows version still works fine. For now, running the editor in Windows (or a VM) lets you change the settings, then use the i2M with those settings in whichever OS you want (OSX, iOS, Linux, etc).
rolego

Post by rolego »

Dear James

Thanks for the updated.
I tried to reverse engineer the protocol between the Editor and the device. It looks like most of the configuration is set by Midi messages. It would be great if you would share this protocol in order to let us find some workarounds.