propellerhead record and I2M on a laptop

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

nbattery1

propellerhead record and I2M on a laptop

Post by nbattery1 »

ok....this is the question, on a laptop Propellerhead record software will only pick up devices connected an external sound card, but....if the sonuus I2M musicport is USB... can I just connect through this for both audio and midi data?

reason being ....is to have less equipment clogging up my desk!

so in a nutshell , will propellerhead record detect the sonuus i2m musicport through the usb connection for both audio and midi data?
james
Site Admin

Re: propellerhead record and I2M on a laptop

Post by james »

What types of audio devices does propellerhead work with? From what you said, I assume it doesn't work with standard built-in audio on your laptop?

There should be no problems with MIDI from the i2M musicport, since it just uses the standard Windows/OSX MIDI support that every audio application uses.
nbattery1

Post by nbattery1 »

Hi, I can connect a midi controller ie keyboard via the usb when using propellerhead record on a laptop, I was hoping that i could connect the I2M via the usb for both audio and midi.
This would eliminate the need for and external sound card (if it works?)

Has anyone tested this ?

Regards
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The i2M only features an audio input, no output.

However, we are working on an ASIO driver (currently in Beta testing) that lets you use built-in audio as the output, and the i2M as the audio input.

On Mac OSX, this isn't necessary because you can do the same thing in the operating system by creating what they call an "Aggregate Device".
nbattery1

Post by nbattery1 »

ah ha,

Thats my answer :) ok, cool...., it would be ace if the I2M was capable of audio output as well...looks like im gunna have to stick to the external sound card for now. Do you know when the I2M is available to buy? Im super keen to try it out with the midi sounds !!

cheers
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

It's not yet available, but we expect it to be in a few weeks. If you subscribe to the forum link below, we will update that with information on production, and product availability as and when it occurs.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=348
ethanehunt

Post by ethanehunt »

the macbook is a good idea. just remember that there aren't as many programs for the mac as there will be for pc.

as far as getting started on a budget, you can use garageband (comes on mac) or download audacity for free. they are both simple and can get you started recording. garageband also has some samples and loops and all of that in there as well for production. i haven't used audacity so i don't know much about it. from there you can purchase a USB mic and start recording.

personally i would look into the Mbox 2 mini interface. it comes with pro tools which is the industry standard recording recording program. it's going to cost you a few hundred, but when it comes to quality, this is one of the best. you get an XLR input for mics, and also two 1/4" inputs which can be for guitars, turntables, beat machines, etc. you may want to use the cheap stuff to get familiar with the whole recording process and everything isntead of investing in something like this for the price.

a mic i really like for hip-hop vocals is the Rode NT1a. i've seen t used on a lot of sessions and it has never let us down. it sells for about $240 or so. i'm pretty sure sweetwater.com has a sale for $225 and you get the shockmount and pop filter with it. again, its a bit expensive, but the quality is top of the line.

sites like sweetwater.com, musiciansfriend.com, and guitarcenter.com often have package deals for recording. you can get a mic, stands, speakers, and any number of things for a package deal. depending on the set-up you want, this can be fairly cheap. all in all you need a mic and probably an interface. you can avoid the interface by using a USB mic. thats really all you need to get started. adding better gear is always a plus. get a better mic, or some more plug-ins to get yourself some more options.

one thing to do is learn how to use everything you buy. a lot of young people will just buy some stuff and just press record but have no idea what else the gear can do, or how to do it. for the best results, do research, learn how signal processing works and take advantage of all of that stuff when you record.

Online high school diploma