Midi device not found

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

HH00

Midi device not found

Post by HH00 »

Hi :(
I just bought an i2M. I attached it to my music computer and plugged in my guitar. I also installed the musicport software. I have a motu mkIII hybrid, connected over usb. I use Reaper as host. The problem is that i2m doesn't show up under midi devices. I have windows xp professional installed with SP3. The i2m lights up green. Then I installed the asio driver for the i2m and then I get messages, I think indicating that the i2m is not found.

I also installed it on my internet computer. Then it shows up as usb audiodevice (or similar) not as *i2m musicport, before installing the asio driver, also Hi-z input (i2m musicport) doesn't show up.

Any help is appreciated. I was very enthousiastic but not I'm not very happy. I've spent already a couple of hours searching and trying without any luck. Audio in is not important for me at this moment, I have the motu unit for that, but I want to play synths over midi with my guitar.

Thanks,

HH
james
Site Admin

Re: Midi device not found

Post by james »

Windows XP has a bug (or limitation).

USB MIDI devices always show up as "USB Audio Device" regardless of what name they use to describe themselves. This affects all USB MIDI devices that use the built-in drivers. Do you have a MIDI device with that name?

Audio devices are ok, and this will correctly show up as the i2M musicport. The ASIO driver doesn't affect the MIDI device.

If the i2M musicport editing software works ok, then this means the USB function is ok, so the problem is most likely to be MIDI/drivers in your OS. We have seen problems here on some XP machines where the USB audio system completely fails and no USB audio devices work at all. Or they only work on specific USB ports. We haven't found a fix for that, other than a reinstall of windows!
HH00

Post by HH00 »

Hi,

thanks for your reply. I also have a behringer BCR2000 installed and connected over usb. I read on the inet that windows limiteds the amount of midi devices, a fix is described, I'll try it when I get home, reinstalling is not an appealing option considering all the work I would have to do to reinstall my other software. I do have an image file shortly after the windows install, I can try that one. I might come back with a request for more support.

HH
HH00

Post by HH00 »

Hi,

on my internet computer I was able to get the asio driver working and the midi device shows up as usb audio device. BUT when I select the usb audio device as midi device no midi signals are detected. I tried it with reaper and with midiox. When press the button on the i2m the software reacts, a selected, b selected etc.

Do I have to do anything else first? I can't see anything in the manual......

:(
johnmc
Site Admin

Post by johnmc »

Hi,

A couple of things to check -

* If you use the i2M's audio interface (as opposed to the MIDI interface) in your software, do you get some signal from your guitar?
* If you increase the volume of the pre-amp (via the i2M Editor), and play your guitar hard, does the i2M LED flash RED to indicate clipping?
* Can you check the MIDI configuration via the i2M Editor? If no zones are enabled then you will get no MIDI output. See here for typical MIDI config settings: http://www.sonuus.com/products_i2m_mp_editor.html

John.
HH00

Post by HH00 »

Hi John,

Thanks for trying to help.

1. I used the asio driver and yes I get a good signal
2. I have to check
3. yes, zones are enabled

I connected the i2m to a mini pc I also have with windows 7 installed. I immediately got midi data into midiox.
As soon as I connect the i2m to my music pc, an usb audio device is detected.

I will install windows 7 on to my music pc and see what will happen.

Something else. The asio driver is 32 bit only, do you have plans to make also a 64 bits driver?

Thanks again
HH00

Post by HH00 »

Hi again,

I went to a friend with winxp 64 bits installed and when I plugin the i2m, it is recognized by windows as i2m but it doesn't show up in reaper or midiox.

It does work in windows 7, but in windows7 I can't set my latency for the motu to the lowest value, crackling will start :(

I thought buying a device that doesn't require extra midi drivers would be more compatible, but now these problems come up.

No change for midi driver for this device?

Kind Regards,

HH
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Something else. The asio driver is 32 bit only, do you have plans to make also a 64 bits driver?
Yes, this is planned. However, it's only required for ASIO audio, it doesn't affect MIDI operation of course.
I went to a friend with winxp 64 bits installed and when I plugin the i2m, it is recognized by windows as i2m but it doesn't show up in reaper or midiox.
There are no known problems with the i2M and Windows XP 32-bit (we haven't been able to test the 64-bit version yet). There are known USB problems in XP that can affect audio devices, but this is a general XP issue. On my old XP machine, the i2M works flawlessly with MIDI and Audio, including the i2M ASIO driver. I assume Microsoft include the standard USB Audio device drivers in XP 64-bit, but maybe they don't?
It does work in windows 7, but in windows7 I can't set my latency for the motu to the lowest value, crackling will start :(
Are you using the i2M just for MIDI, or using the i2M audio input with the ASIO driver? When using the i2M for MIDI only, it shouldn't affect any other audio device. I guess this Windows 7 problem is a MOTU one? Which MOTU interface have you got?
HH00

Post by HH00 »

Hello again,

Thanks for responding so quickly,

1. asio 64 bits: yes, I understand, but because I will now switch to windows 7 64 bits it becomes interesting

2. well, there was a message that the device was recognized as i2m but it didn't show up as a midi device in any application. But ok, I will switch to windows 7, see 3.

3. windows 7 crackling, I reinstalled windows and now it seems to be fine, no crackling, so for now it seems to be fine, I will start installing my other software, thanks for your support

Kind Regards,

HH