help to choose G2M or I2M

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

fendrix

help to choose G2M or I2M

Post by fendrix »

hi friends,
i would like to buy a sonuus midi converter
but i have few questions wich make somebody can help me..
so,

1) G2m or I2m, wich has better TRACKING?
2) G2moe I2m, wich has lower LATENCY?

now a third question:

3) i want to use this midi converter for live applications, wich i will use wich a MIDI IN expander. I would like to have the possibility to use it too with VST on my computer. I have too an audio interface "Roland ua 55" that i use with my pc. So wich i should to buy the G2m or I2m?

thx
james
Site Admin

Re: help to choose G2M or I2M

Post by james »

Tracking and latency of the G2M and i2M musicport are essentially identical (for the i2M in "guitar" mode). There may be subtle differences because of the difference with MIDI and USB interfaces that can cause a few ms of difference between the two depending on what you are using to get the MIDI sounds.

For example, if you are using a good hardware MIDI module, the G2M gives the best results because there is minimal delay in processing the MIDI messages to get the sounds. But, if you are using a computer to generate the sounds, the i2M is usually better because it's optimised USB-MIDI interface can send MIDI messages to the computer faster than the G2M whose message need to be converted by another interface. However, as I said above, these differences are very small, usually only a millisecond or so.

The i2M has another advantages of the G2M: it's settings can be tweaked using the i2M editor (over the USB connection) so you can configure more advanced MIDI setups such as transposes and also control it using MIDI messages (sustain, hold, program change).

For live use, both work well. How are you planning to connect the i2M for live use? What kind of MIDI IN expander are you going to use?
fendrix

Post by fendrix »

james wrote:Tracking and latency of the G2M and i2M musicport are essentially identical (for the i2M in "guitar" mode). There may be subtle differences because of the difference with MIDI and USB interfaces that can cause a few ms of difference between the two depending on what you are using to get the MIDI sounds.

For example, if you are using a good hardware MIDI module, the G2M gives the best results because there is minimal delay in processing the MIDI messages to get the sounds. But, if you are using a computer to generate the sounds, the i2M is usually better because it's optimised USB-MIDI interface can send MIDI messages to the computer faster than the G2M whose message need to be converted by another interface. However, as I said above, these differences are very small, usually only a millisecond or so.

The i2M has another advantages of the G2M: it's settings can be tweaked using the i2M editor (over the USB connection) so you can configure more advanced MIDI setups such as transposes and also control it using MIDI messages (sustain, hold, program change).

For live use, both work well. How are you planning to connect the i2M for live use? What kind of MIDI IN expander are you going to use?
Hi James thx for the answer..

Well,
as for live situations,

i would to use the G2M may with my yamaha A4000 sampler or just with an emu proteus 2xr or some little rack.
If i would like to use the I2M wich is has an Usb output, may i will use my pc (and may to use with Roland ua 55 wich give me something lke 2.5 ms of latecny)..
the most important thing, for me, after tracking of course, is the most low latency possible.

principally i want to buy this midi converter for to use exclusively for monophonic synth sounds.
I read something about this midi converter, and i dont know if is a good idea to use with my neck pickup a compressor for to have always the same dynamic possible,
so that the sonnus will not have tracking problems.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

For live use, you have to decide what is most important for you. The G2M connected directly to a hardware synth/sound module will feel very slightly faster than the i2M, and you don't need to use the computer (or another USB host device) if you don't want to. The i2M gives you more flexibility.
I read something about this midi converter, and i dont know if is a good idea to use with my neck pickup a compressor for to have always the same dynamic possible, so that the sonnus will not have tracking problems.
It is better to use the neck pickup simply because this gives a stronger fundamental tone to the signal compared to the bridge pickup, so the G2M/i2M is more liklely to get the note correct with lowest latency.

It is best not to use a compressor for two reasons: (1) it can boost the low level signals, such as string/finger noise which can cause tracking problems because the G2M/i2M won't be able to reject these so easily if they are boosted; (2) you loose the dynamic range of the input signal which means you loose the variation in MIDI velocity on the output.
galucawit

Post by galucawit »

This blog has so much information about some very cool things. And i don't like to stop myself reading and essay writer is really the best. We can find many other informative and amazing articles on the internet.
donappel

Post by donappel »

fendrix wrote:
Hi James thx for the answer..

Well,
as for live situations,

i would to use the G2M may with my yamaha A4000 sampler or just with an emu proteus 2xr or some little rack.
If i would like to use the I2M wich is has an Usb output, may i will use my pc (and may to use with Roland ua 55 wich give me something lke 2.5 ms of latecny)..
the most important thing gmail sign up, for me, after tracking of course, is the most low latency possible.

principally i want to buy this midi converter for to use exclusively for monophonic synth sounds.
I read something about this midi converter, and i dont know if is a good idea to use with my neck pickup a compressor for to have always the same dynamic possible,
so that the sonnus will not have tracking problems.
It is better to use the neck pickup