unit sound not OK?

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

eriky

unit sound not OK?

Post by eriky »

Hi there,
I have had my Wahoo for a while now, must admit didn't play it that much as the sound it creates is not very clear or bright, it is quite muddy and not too articulated. I fear either I have set it up incorrectly (but even the factory settings suffer from this), or the unit has an issue? I have made an mp3 of me playing a bit, using a Line6 BackTrack, that makes great recordings on just the line to the amp, and would appreciate of you were willing to listen to it and provide me some suggestions on how to improve the sound.
Thanks in advance,
Erik
Attachments
BT03102G.mp3
(97.64 KiB) Downloaded 644 times
BT03115G.mp3
(223.99 KiB) Downloaded 669 times
BT03119G.mp3
(170.62 KiB) Downloaded 589 times
BT03110G.mp3
(123.54 KiB) Downloaded 617 times
james
Site Admin

Re: unit sound not OK?

Post by james »

Hi Erik,

These all sound like envelope filter presets, is that correct?

It sounds to me like the level of your instrument is quite low, so with the standard sensitivity settings in the presets there isn't enough signal to fully open the filters, so they stay mostly closed, hence the lack of response and "muddiness".

There is a simple way to apply a global offset to the sensitivity settings without having to tweak each individual preset. From the Wahoo editor, on the "setup" tab, under "settings" adjust "sensitivity adjust". This will give up to a +/-24 dB compensation for the input signal level (-60 = -24dB, 60 = +24dB). If you choose an envelope preset you can move "sensitivity adjust" while playing to hear how it affects the sound.

You can also do this from the Wahoo itself, by going into the custom parameters (press and hold the MODE knob for 2 seconds). Then scroll with the up/down buttons until "SEn" it shown. Turn the MODE knob to change the value.

This sensitivity adjust doesn't affect the filter drive, so the cleanness/warmness/grittiness of the presets may vary with your instrument level, so you might want to play with the drive level too, once you have a sound close to how you want it.