G2M not working with Animoog

The Sonuus G2M™ iOS app

Moderators: johnmc, james

PaulAlex

G2M not working with Animoog

Post by PaulAlex »

Hi Guys, hope you can help.

I have an iphone 5 and am using Animoog. I've just downloaded the G2M app and i cannot get the Animoog to produce sounds. In the G2M app the midi notes are appearing as I play them and the guitar tuner works (I'm connecting my guitar via an iRig). It is in Core Midi mode. I double tap the home button on the iPhone and open Animoog, in the midi section I tap on midi in from G2M, select midi channel 1. No sounds from the Animoog. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong as many other folks have said G2M works great with Animoog. Many thanks.
james
Site Admin

Re: G2M not working with Animoog

Post by james »

Is the G2M app running in the foreground, or background?

Some MIDI apps need to be in the foreground before they make sounds, but I can't remember if Animoog needs to be (I don't have it beside me right now to check). You may need to put Animoog to the foreground and have the G2M app in the background. Make sure the G2M app has "Background Audio" set to "ON".
PaulAlex

Post by PaulAlex »

Cheers, will try it out.
twalker

Post by twalker »

Sorry to "bump" this thread, but I've also had odd results controlling Animoog via the G2M app.

What's really weird, is that some patches play as you would expect (the "Default" patch is one that does), but others - including my favourite, "BiggerBass" - do not. The MIDI data appears to be getting through, but with BiggerBass the notes don't sound properly - you hear a "click" or "thump" each time you play a note, as if a Note On message is being followed immediately by an Off.

I can't see why this might be happening, as other patches in Animoog seem to play correctly. Please let me know if it would be helpful for me to record the output of the problem, and I'll arrange that?

Many thanks :)
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I'm not sure what could be causing this. Most likely it's some setting in those patches.

If the patch ignores the note in the note-off messages, this could explain it. The G2M app may send the new note-on, before the last note-off (this is to allow the synth to play legato and allow the notes to flow into each other without an attack). So, maybe what happens is this:

You play an E then an A, the G2M app sends:

note-on E
note-on A
note-off E

But the synth responds incorrectly, and turns off all notes, not just E when it gets note-off E.

If you play notes with gaps, the G2M app won't do this, so try to see if this makes any difference. If you find any more clues, please let us know.