Software improvement suggestion

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

james
Site Admin

Re: Software improvement suggestion

Post by james »

Thank you. We will investigate everything you've found.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I have not been able to reproduce any crash, or lockup. Please keep a watch for this and see if you can find any pattern that may cause it. Could it be related to MIDI being sent to the Voluum?

The bug where phase and delay are not working with MIDI sync is actually because phase and delay (essentially retrigger) were not supposed to be available when MIDI sync was selected as an option. So actually they do nothing -- they are disabled in MIDI sync mode. This is the same on the Wahoo too, but here these parameters are not available in MIDI sync mode.

MIDI sync does more than work out the tempo from MIDI clock. The clock drives the LFO position directly (tempo is not calculated) and the position of the LFO is determined from MIDI Song Position.

But, I think phase could be available with MIDI clock sync.

Retrigger is more difficult because as soon as you retrigger, you loose the position reference to MIDI song position, so the LFO would not align. But maybe that's ok -- if you select retrigger as an option, MIDI song position would be ignored, so I think it would then work as you expect.

What do you think?
Flop54

Post by Flop54 »

james wrote:I have not been able to reproduce any crash, or lockup. Please keep a watch for this and see if you can find any pattern that may cause it. Could it be related to MIDI being sent to the Voluum?
you can trust me to do it!
james wrote:The bug where phase and delay are not working with MIDI sync is actually because phase and delay (essentially retrigger) were not supposed to be available when MIDI sync was selected as an option. So actually they do nothing -- they are disabled in MIDI sync mode. This is the same on the Wahoo too, but here these parameters are not available in MIDI sync mode.
it's better that they are not available to not try to fix it if it does not work.
james wrote:MIDI sync does more than work out the tempo from MIDI clock. The clock drives the LFO position directly (tempo is not calculated) and the position of the LFO is determined from MIDI Song Position.
But, I think phase could be available with MIDI clock sync.
Retrigger is more difficult because as soon as you retrigger, you loose the position reference to MIDI song position, so the LFO would not align. But maybe that's ok -- if you select retrigger as an option, MIDI song position would be ignored, so I think it would then work as you expect.
What do you think?
I think that the phase is a compulsory option because now we can't have a tremolo doing 0 -99db 0 -99db and it's a really problem. Perhaps you can had an option to invert the curve... But anyway there is a problem with the voluum and the wahoo. With midi sync, the tempo is straight and sometimes we need that the lfo be slightly ahead or behind the beat. you know what i mean? When i play with the metronome i can't feel any groove because the metronome doing the job the effect doing another job and they can't play together.. It's a pity.
I understand the problem with retrigger and delay but i think it's not really important not to have this option in midi sync mode but you have to hide it to avoid headaches!! :)
Flop54

Post by Flop54 »

Hello,

Hâve you some news about the phase with midi sync?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Sorry for the delay.

I agree with you. We will look at adding phase to MIDI sync (on Wahoo and Voluum). Also investigating some other things on the Voluum right now, so will work this change into the development. Hopefully it won't take too long to add this.
Flop54

Post by Flop54 »

Cool!!!

Changing the phase should be possible all the time even without the "retrigger" option.
Flop54

Post by Flop54 »

Hello

You look very busy but have you some news concerning the phase option with midi sync?

Thanks
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

You look very busy but have you some news concerning the phase option with midi sync?
Not yet, I've been too busy!

But, I will try to get a beta version together as quickly as possible for you. That is much faster to do than a full release.
Flop54

Post by Flop54 »

It is a really really good news because I need this modification!

Thank you!
canbaz

Post by canbaz »

Hi James,

Is there any chance to have a "guitar tuner" preset? It can be sort of a strobe tuner using the volume LEDs with the option to mute the signal out using the pedal, and display showing the note.

If it is not very possible to create a preset like this, maybe you can use the LED of the control button (or both hi/lo and control LEDs-I think these LEDs have no function) as a strobe, so the tuner is active on all presets, even when the pedal is bypassed.

If you can implement a pitch controlled tremolo/compressor, as discussed in another thread, I guess the tuner can be implemented as well. Just trying my chance :)...