Connecting G2M to FInale 2012

All general pitch-to-MIDI thoughts, suggestions, complaints, etc.

Moderators: johnmc, james

kezdoe

Connecting G2M to FInale 2012

Post by kezdoe »

hi,
it's my birthday today ... so ...
eagerly I unpacked my present, a brandnew sonuus g2m and connected it to my guitar AND via midi-usb cable to my dell laptop and opened finale 2012 to make my first recordings ...... how dissapointed was i to find out that not one single note arrived at my laptop :-(

is there something special that i have to think of?
everythings works fine when i connect my akai lpk25, the melody I play on the keyboard is clearly seen on the music sheet ... not so with sonuus g2m. where /how could I possibly check if the signal arrives at the computer at all? I use a creative labs external soundblaster (THX)

all the lights shine and blink as the should.
the midi2USB cable shows a correct connection (bright red light on the usb-jack).

Can someone help a beginner? :?:

thank you ever so much,
Ferenc
james
Site Admin

Re: Connecting G2M to FInale 2012

Post by james »

Happy Birthday!

Get Midi-Ox (the swiss-army-knife of MIDI utilities) http://www.midiox.com/

Select your midi2USB cable as the MIDI input and look at the input monitor. You should see MIDI messages coming in whenever the yellow MIDI light flashes on the G2M.

Once you have that working, the next stage is to make sure the midi2USB cable is selected as a MIDI input device in Finale.
kezdoe

Post by kezdoe »

gee, thanks,
that one was a fast reply, I shall try to follow your advice immadiately and will come back if it does not work :-)

have a nice weekend,

Ferenc
kezdoe

Post by kezdoe »

hi James,

so i'm back.
because it is not working.

I use a miditech midilink mini cable.
the swiss knife is installed, but it does not help any.
neither the cable, nor g2m are shown as possible MIDI input devices (midi-ox/options/midi devices)... it just lists an usb-audio input, but that does not help any, since the logfile denies having a midi device around.
btw: after unplugging and pluggin in again the mentioned cable, I get a windows (XP) info that a new device was found, connected and can be used ...
i do not the slighest idea, what the trouble is ... maybe I should let the g2m send back ?

best regards,
ferenc
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

In Windows XP a MIDI device will appear as "USB Audio Device". So, I think that is what you need to select as your MIDI input.

When you connect your USB MIDI cable it will appear as a new device (as you have found). You may need to restart any audio application (including MIDI-OX) when you plug the cable in, otherwise the software may not find the device.

It sounds like the G2M is working fine, you just need to connect your software with the USB MIDI cable.
kezdoe

Post by kezdoe »

Well, it definitely does not work with the cable i have.
Neither midi ox - the knife - nor finale detects g2m or the cable itself,
Do you have any suggestions what cable i coud/should use/get?

Best regards,
Ferenc
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Which MIDI-to-USB cable do you have? Any good brand of USB-MIDI interface should work fine. For example, the M-Audio Uno (http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno.html)

If something's gone wrong with the USB-MIDI driver, you may need to go into Device Manager and find that device and select uninstall (and choose to delete the drivers). The next time you connect it, it will reinstall the drivers and may then work correctly.

Note, the G2M will never be detected by any software. Because it is a MIDI device, the computer has no way to know it is attached, and what device it is when it is attached. It is the same with all 5-pin MIDI devices including keyboards. Your computer can only see the USB-MIDI interface you are using.