Dual Modes?

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

phaedrus

Dual Modes?

Post by phaedrus »

Hi
I was wondering if it were possible to have the voluum work just as a simple volume pedal when the unit is in bypass/buffer mode?

So for example, have the treadle bring in compression or change tremolo oscillation parameters, but also act as a volume pedal when disengaging the effect?

If so, could this idea be expanded to alternate beween two presets?

I'm guessing it should be possible unless the bypass switch is hardwired to a relay for true bypass....but if it can go to a buffered bypass....?

I thought I read somewhere that it could act a simple volume like i stated, but I've looked at the manual and forums, but couldn't find it anywhere. Maybe I was mistaken.

Anyhoo, this really is an awesome pedal. I've never been a compression fan, but having the ability to feed it in whilst sustaining a note into feedback is really cool. Plus I'm a major tremolo fan, so I'm absolutely loving this and feel my journey with the multitude of options is just begining!

Thanks

*Edit* I've just realised it is possible, by putting the voluum in foot operated preset selection mode. I would just have to order my presets in accordance to where I want the treadle in the up or down position when changing preset.
james
Site Admin

Re: Dual Modes?

Post by james »

You can do this with the latest firmware. We added it at the suggestion of one of the first Voluum users.

It's called "preset bypass" mode -- look in the setup page of the editor. In this mode, you can select a preset that will be used when the effect is bypassed. In this mode, of course if works as buffered-bypass rather than true-bypass.

Good to hear you love the pedal. We're doing some research to add more tremolo sounds to emulate classic vintage analogue tremolos. Not sure when we'll get this completed, but hope it won't take too long.
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

Hi James
Thanks for your quick response. Oh, that's great news - I guess I did read it quite a while back.

I've updated the firmware and the editor and see the preset bypass option. I have it selected, then chose a standard volume preset. The volume preset is a user one that I copied straight from the 1st factory preset. I've tried many factory and user presets too. However, I can't seem to get it to work.

The process looks easy enough. Is there any thing I may have overlooked?

Thanks
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

Ah
Seems to be working now. I just had to reset. I use a PSU, even when connected via USB to the editor as I get some minor digital noise with USB power.

All is good and groovey now.

Cheers

*And another edit*

It seems I was wrong. I have to power up the voluum in lock mode to get pedal bypass to work. I gather this is normal?

Thanks
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

You shouldn't need to reset (repower) the Voluum for this change to have any effect. It should happen instantly.

You are correct about LOCK -- sorry, I forgot about this. The preset bypass mode only works when the unit is locked. The reason for this, is otherwise it is not possible to A/B between a preset you are editing and the bypassed (unaffected state), so it would not be possible (for example) to compare signal levels of the dry and wet signal.
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

Thanks for your help James. The voluum is working as it should and that's a great new feature for me.
Cheers
Tony