filters midi-in

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

icarusi

filters midi-in

Post by icarusi »

Can filters 1 & 2 be assigned separate CCs on the same channel?
james
Site Admin

Re: filters midi-in

Post by james »

The Wahoo can receive MIDI on a single channel, or on all channels (in this case it ignores which channel it comes from).

The filters respond to MIDI in 3 ways:

(1) MIDI Expression: a 14-bit expression controller can be used as if it were a remote footpedal.

(2) MIDI Cutoff and MIDI Resonance controllers to explicitly control the filter cutoff and resonance independently (the range of Q and freq and set by the hi and lo values you have set).

(3) MIDI notes: the filter will set its cutoff to the frequency of the note you play (again, limited to the lo and hi values you set).

So to answer your question: yes they can be set for different controllers, but only in the way described above: e.g., one filter can be set to expression controller (1), while the other could use the cutoff controller (2).
icarusi

Post by icarusi »

There only seems to be one filter CC option in the editor control panel, but 2 midi channel options, unless I'm missing something, it looks like 1 CC per midi channel, not 2 CC on one midi channel. So if I set both filters to midi channel 1, how do I set the a different CC to each filter within that midi channel?
icarusi

Post by icarusi »

I can now see 'midi expression' items on the 'edit' page but they both seem to be pointing to CC 11 and 43. I can see a 'midi cut-off and resonance' using CCs 74 and 71 option, but will these control filter frequency, which I want, or the Qs which I don't need (yet)?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Yes, you have found the correct place on the edit page. Sorry I didn't make this clear in my first reply.

When "MIDI Expression" is selected, you can use either 7-bit or 14-bit controller messages. For 7-bit you only need to send the MSB (controller #11), for 14-bit you send both MSB and LSB (#11 and #43).

When "MIDI Cutoff + Resonance" is selected, controller #74 will control the filter frequency (it's a 7-bit value), and controller #71 will control resonance. If you don't want to control resonance, simply don't sent #71 (or indeed set the Q hi and lo to the same value and it will be fixed).
icarusi

Post by icarusi »

It would still be handy to be able to choose the CC number per filter rather than fixed options. There are more available CC numbers than midi channels, and poly guitar synths already consume 6 midi channels.

I'll go with note messages for now, but the filters seem to need octave changes to sound noticeable. A multiplier option would be handy on the note number, especially from drum track notes.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

We will add this as a feature request.

This wasn't done because the filters are typically used together, so the same expression controller would typically be used to control both filters in parallel, just as the footpedal would do.

Out of interest, what are you trying to do? It would be useful to know.
icarusi

Post by icarusi »

AM the filters with various stepped waveforms, similar to the random, but looped, and with set rhythms probably linked to drum tracks, to get rhythmic fx. I've tried it with 'random' and a delay set to sync approx. with the Wahoo LFO, to overlay 2 filter sequences (one delayed to sync over the other), so it works in principle, just need to develop the right note/CC sequences to get the filters to move into the right regions to get the audio effect on the audio input. BTW what amplitude steps is the 'random' waveform using in terms of the alternative 'pitch' setting frequencies?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Using MIDI to automate the filters is a great way to get rhythmic effects -- you have much more control, and possible complexity, compared to using the built-in LFOs.

Using MIDI notes can be very useful because you know where these notes are (their frequency) so you can often work out the pattern you want by first working out the notes on your guitar, etc.

The amplitude of the random is random! Each update it chooses a random value between the lo and hi values you have set. The hardware can't respond as fast as this is updated, so these "microsteps" are smoothed. When you enable steps on the random LFO, you get something more rhythmic with the amplitude randomly between lo and hi.
icarusi

Post by icarusi »

james wrote:
The amplitude of the random is random! Each update it chooses a random value between the lo and hi values you have set. The hardware can't respond as fast as this is updated, so these "microsteps" are smoothed. When you enable steps on the random LFO, you get something more rhythmic with the amplitude randomly between lo and hi.
When I was trying to get an effect something between 'random' and a repeat pattern via midi note, I had to use octaves rather than chromatic or diatonic lines. Is there a multiplyer off the LFO waveforms to get the amount of filter movement. Probably what I'm needing is the LFO max amplitude +/- swing in terms of midi notes.

Can the pedal control on the filter have a 'stepped' motion? I got a 12 chromatic note step (using resonance, then backing it off) on the triangle wave form, but the end of the 'down' wasn't as linear as the 'up' so the chromatic went diatonic at the end. Is the triangle wave linear, or is something asymmetric in the wave-end, or how it modulates the filter?