Pedal to control other parameters

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

flumpjumper

Pedal to control other parameters

Post by flumpjumper »

I understand that I can make the pedal a midi controller.
I can then use midi signals via the computer to control wahoo parameters.
So, I can make the pedal control drive , via midi.
But, I can't get the pedal to control drive on its own without the computer.
This seems really roundabout, and kind of ironic.
Is there a reason for this? Am I missing something? Is this because the pedal would then do some of the features of the voluum and I wouldn't need to buy two?
james
Site Admin

Re: Pedal to control other parameters

Post by james »

Some of the analogue circuitry can't be controller perfectly smoothly, but is done in small steps. Drive (and the mix section) is like this. So these are not designed to be automated by the pedal. We could make this possible, but you would get some "zipper" noise when they were moved, which isn't desirable.

The Voluum uses a high-quality VCA to control the signal level. This is an expensive component, and adding this to the Wahoo to get smooth volume control on drive, output level and mix would have made it far too expensive. So the reason is purely to keep the cost of the Wahoo down.

MIDI control is used to control the filter (freq and Q) only. You set the filter to "pedal" mode and select one of the control options. It defaults to "pedal" which uses the physical pedal on the Wahoo, but you can select MIDI controllers or MIDI notes instead.