Wahoo pedal cal not showing value change; 510

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

SoundPro

Wahoo pedal cal not showing value change; 510

Post by SoundPro »

Hello Sonuus Support
I was brought Wahoo pedal for repair in St Petersburg Russia. There is no distributor apparently.
Serial 4000576
Symptoms are all effects function except no control of parameters by the foot pedal. Found the connector for the pedal position sensor was not making contact due to excessive glue. The result was seeing the amplitude of the RF signal across the sensor varied over a 20:1 ratio from pedal up to down but still no impact on the effects. A cal reading of 510 that does not change. It would take a long time to trace out the board to figure out the circuit of how that RF signal is being converted to numeric value.
Is it possible to get tech information for this unit without the owner having to send it to UK for repair? There is a new export fee for sending defective units outside the country for repairs equal to 1/3 its value and an import fee equal to 1/3 its value. It would be a shame to have to scrap this unit for what might be a simple repair. I am an American living in St Petersburg, a recording engineer/studio owner for 25 years, EE and had the largest pro audio shop in the US before moving here 13 years ago. If technical info was available I would be happy to work on units for your customers here in Russia since it appears to be a well designed and constructed unit that would be nice to work on.
Stan
Sound-pros.com
james
Site Admin

Re: Wahoo pedal cal not showing value change; 510

Post by james »

Hello Stan,

Of course we are happy to help you, and indeed for you to help us by servicing our customers. You are correct, there is currently no Sonuus distributor in Russia, though we do keep trying to find one.

Any pedals that have had problems with this connector have simply been caused by bad connections on that connector. Removing the connector and directly soldering in the wires to the correct holes (i.e., the same position they are on the connector) fixes the problem.

I will send you a PM with my email address and we can continue in more detail by email, and exchange documents etc.

James
SoundPro

Re: Wahoo pedal cal not showing value change; 510

Post by SoundPro »

Thank you James, I was not expecting such a quick response. Playing with some of the effects reveals that this is a pretty impressive unit. The connector was a problem but after cleaning and reforming the contracts a reliable connection was achieved but the problem persists. When first monitoring the sensor output there was no variation until the connector was worked on. I will solder directly to the board.
I know a couple guitarists who would love one of these, and leave 4 series stomp boxes in the bag, a big help in stage setup reliability.
Stan