Presets not saving

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

apossibleworld

Presets not saving

Post by apossibleworld »

Hello - first of all, I absolutely love the Voluum, which has opened up so many sounds for me. I hadn't used the OS X editor until recently, and I'm having some trouble. Yesterday it seemed to be working fine. Today all of a sudden some of my presets disappeared -- the names remained, but the settings changed. Then when I re-made them and saved again, the save did not work: I hit the final save button but then the settings revert.

The unit is unlocked. In fact, clicking the lock icon does nothing. Is there some other method to lock and unlock in the editor?

And the biggest issue for me is that changing the bypass mode also doesn't save, or rather the "pedal enable" to have it turn off in one position. After changing the setting, do you need to "save" the setup page somehow? I have just now tried changing this setting on the pedal itself, not plugged in to the computer, and it still does not save when you turn the power off and back on.

I do have the latest official firmware on it. Any ideas?

thanks so much
apossibleworld

Re: Presets not saving

Post by apossibleworld »

By now I've figured out the obvious point that the lock function is manual only, all good there.

I made a video to show the issue with saving. When I hit save, it just reverts back to where it was before. I have been unable to save any preset since this started, but it did seem to work for a while first. Watch what happens right when I hit the save button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EbVK-SI5So
JamieB

Post by JamieB »

hey man,

just another user here, but i watched your video when you went to save you did not set a destination preset in the top drop down menu and the unit reset. have you tried setting the destination? also the comment about the visual slider i believe that's because after the unit had reset there was no pedal control activated, i was going to set up my voluum but cant find the correct usb cable at this time, can you try these things and post a reply - i will try and find my cable tomorrow as its 1.30 am here :)

cheers

jamie
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I agree with JamieB, for some reason the destination preset isn't selected (not sure why). Try selecting your destination here and see if it works.

Regarding the settings on the setup page (bypass mode etc). When you save custom settings on the Voluum itself (using its control panel), the settings will be saved when you exit the custom mode. On the editor, it doesn't save the settings every time you change something because this would wear out the flash memory. Instead, it is saved after a certain timeout but only if the effect is bypassed -- because saving while active could cause an audio glitch and we want to make sure that doesn't happen. If you simply enable/disable the bypass on the Voluum, that should save the settings for you.
apossibleworld

Post by apossibleworld »

Thanks for the suggestions. I wish it were that easy but the problem seems to be something else. Firstly the bypass issue - I think the bypass mode is saving, but not the on/off position settings. I'm trying to save it in true bypass with the on/off(toe) setting, but in buffered mode, pushing the footswitch bypass button doesn't do anything. Is there a different method for that?

Now about saving: When I try to select the destination preset, some kind of glitch is happening, which I can't describe well but you can see in this video. The destination preset never shows up as selected in the main save window, just a blank space. Please watch this and let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

thanks so much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3JNKA5y7nc
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Which version of firmware and editor are you using?

Maybe try the latest beta version in case this fixes it?

The firmware is in this post: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1402

And you can use this editor -- it's not quite the latest, but it should work ok with this firmware: http://www.sonuus.com/downloads/softwar ... -1_1_1.zip
apossibleworld

Post by apossibleworld »

Thanks James. Unfortunately I'm on OS X so I can't update to that firmware. When will the final release be ready for Mac? I did try the editor 1.1.1 (I had been on 1.1.0), and that got rid of the glitchy function where the "destination preset" never shows up, but unfortunately after hitting save it still reverts back to the previous setting.

When I first opened up the app, the display of the pedal position was working correctly. As soon as I changed presets, that went dark and did not change. When I choose Factory preset 00, basic volume function, that light works normally in the app. In the other presets it is non-functional.

And I still can't figure out how to save the pedal on/off setting within the pedal itself, when in buffered mode.

thank you very much, sorry for the trouble!
apossibleworld

Post by apossibleworld »

Also I am on firmware 1.1.0

and I now see that the beta software is 1.1.01
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Oops... I forgot the firmware was embedded into the Windows editor, so you couldn't get to it!

I've attached the .sfu file so you can do the update. The editor link I sent you earlier should work with this version ok.

I just want to check it's not a bug that has been fixed in this new release. We have a few things to finish off this week, and should be able to get the release final (with new OSX editor) early next week.
Attachments
Voluum_1_0102.sfu
Voluum Firmware version 1.1.02.
(88.05 KiB) Downloaded 728 times
apossibleworld

Post by apossibleworld »

Alright! That fixed some of the issues, but not all. Now I can save presets, that seems to be working correctly. However the visual display of the pedal position still isn't working, except on Factory 00 preset.

I also still can't figure out how to save the on/off heel toe settings, either in the app or on the pedal itself, when in buffered mode. I reread your initial explanation of this function... how long is the timeout before the app saves? With these settings, the only way to bypass the pedal is to put the toe up... the footswitch doesn't do anything? And on the pedal itself, how do you exit the Custom settings?