Wahoo keeps shutting down

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

tjontheroad

Wahoo keeps shutting down

Post by tjontheroad »

Hello,

I've had the Wahoo for 3 months now. I just started to use it a lot, but now it is shutting down / off on it's own after a few minutes being turned on. Then after after few more minutes, it powers up again. I'm using Cioks power supply that's working fine with the rest of my pedals including my Voluum.

I tested the power and connection. Still the same result. I guess I need a return. Or, possible some other suggestion?

Thanks,

TJ
james
Site Admin

Re: Wahoo keeps shutting down

Post by james »

Is is powering down, or entering sleep mode (middle "-" of the display pulses)? If it's sleeping, you must have enabled the power-save mode which can help prolong battery life when you are using batteries. Activating the effect will exit sleep mode.

If the supply voltage is low, the Wahoo assumes you are running on batteries and will shut down to stop fully draining the batteries which could damage them and cause them to leak. When it's on, check the battery monitor (press and hold FILTER1/2 button and UP arrow to show the battery %). If this is showing 0 (or close to 0), that's probably what's happening.

Does the same thing happen on other power supplies? Have you tried USB, or batteries?
tjontheroad

Post by tjontheroad »

It powers down completely with no display. It turns back on after a couple minutes.

I never use batteries. The same Cioks is powering my Voluum without issue. I have not tested USB power yet. I give USB a test but that won't help much when I'm out on a gig.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Please check with USB power -- it's not so you can do this as a solution, just to help us work out what the problem could be. What you describe is not a fault we've seen before, so trying to get as much info as possible before in case it's not a problem that needs to be returned. Furthermore, if it is returned sometimes the problem can disappear, so we want to make sure we understand the problem to know where to check to be 100% sure it is fixed.

Same goes with the battery monitor -- this measures the supply voltage, even if it's from the 9V DC... if it's too low, it will auto-power off, regardless if you use batteries or DC power. When connected to USB, the battery monitor should show "USb" instead.

Similarly, with batteries. If you have any you can try, it helps us.

If the battery monitor is ok. Try wiggling the power connector -- maybe there's a bad connection there?
tjontheroad

Post by tjontheroad »

I'm happy to diagnose the issue. I'm thinking it's the 9v jack to blame. I understand using the battery and USB power is to eliminate other possibilities.

I'll report back later.

Thanks.
tjontheroad

Post by tjontheroad »

Good news so far as I ran the wahoo for several hours after reconnecting it another power supply without any issue. Hopefully I'm ok.

Thanks.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Thanks for the update. Let us know if it happens again.