ER 1 on firmware Upgrade

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

Micromet

ER 1 on firmware Upgrade

Post by Micromet »

Hi,

Have upgraded the firmware to 1.3.0 - installer said successfully - confirmed by the Desktop editor Setup page that says:
firmware version: 1.3.00
Hardware version: 1.0.00
desktop version: 1.3.00

Now when I power up the pedal I either get an ER 1 or ER 5 appearing before the SON UUS and FOO displays. The pedal is entirely unresponsive to any option. What is the problem and how do I fix it?
james
Site Admin

Re: ER 1 on firmware Upgrade

Post by james »

There error codes refer to startup testing that is done to check that some things on the analogue side are working correctly. This wasn't in the initial firmware; we added it later to help diagnose some potential problems. I assume that's why you are only seeing it after the firmware upgrade: it simply wasn't being checked in the original firmware you had.

How are you powering the Wahoo? It could be that there isn't enough power available and the voltage on the analogue board is drooping, so the startup test is failing.

Alternatively, it could be a fault in the power filtering to the analogue board.
Micromet

Post by Micromet »

Hi James,

Before the firmware upgrade I was successfully using a Korg KAC-306T AC Adapter that I had spare. Stated supply was 9V and 500mA. Perhaps the firmware upgrade has slightly increased the required power. Tried the Wahoo with AA batteries and it works fine - so looks like I need to get a 9v 1A supply for the pedal. No problem and thanks for the quick reply.

Colin
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Good to hear it works ok on AA batteries.

There shouldn't be much different in power consumption between firmware versions. Do you know which version were you using before? We can check this.
Micromet

Post by Micromet »

Hi James,

Can't remember which firmware version it was. But I bought the Wahoo at the Guitar show in Bingley Hall last year (2014) (February I think) so it is the firmware that was current at that time.
Micromet

Post by Micromet »

Hi Jaime,

Got the 9v 1A output power supply today. But still get 4 flashes of the ER 1 error when powering up before the unit goes into the SON UUS and then Loc display sequence.
I'm going to monitor the Amps going into the unit once I have made up a break-out box for the power unit.
And I'm going to revert to the previous firmware version if the system allows me.
Micromet

Post by Micromet »

Hi Jaime,

Forgot to add that the battery option didn't work for long - I suspected exhausted batteries - but now with the 1A power unit failing - I'm wondering if they were just rapidly exhausted through high amp loss.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I think it's best if we get it back and test it for you. Any problems, we can repair it. I suspect if there is a problem, it'll be easily fixed and I'll be able to get it back to you very quickly.

I will send you a PM with details of where to send it.