wahoo hiss

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

leonnine

wahoo hiss

Post by leonnine »

hi. i brought a wahoo pedal and find it quite noisy. especially on headphones. or am i being too fussy?
i am running it on batteries and bypass is totally clear.
when the pedal is engaged the hiss comes through even in dry setting (ie no filter) so its not a filter resonance issue.
hopefully you can hear it in this audio clip. it wouldn't let me attach audio file so i had to upload to youtube.

http://youtu.be/y7rSVnSgc04

there is no drive and ive tried to match the output to the bypass level and the effect level is set to dry signal, no filter. i am turning bypass on and off throughout. it is there, no matter what drive setting there is on different presets.

i will take vid down once i've had an answer.

the problem is, I brought it off someone from ebay so i am unsure to say the item is faulty or not. i have not contacted seller yet and do not know if its in warranty for me to get it fixed or if to start a dispute on ebay for selling faulty goods and send it back to seller for refund.

the units serial number is 4000793 and i have registered it with you but maybe its still registered with the seller.

hope you can help.
james
Site Admin

Re: wahoo hiss

Post by james »

This is normal. Though it's hard to hear the actual noise level in the video.

The filter design is known to be noisy, though we have made it pretty quiet for that particular type of filter. There are quieter filter designs, but they don't sound nearly as good.

Because the filters are quite noisy, to keep the price down, the dry signal isn't super-quiet. Once this is mixed in with the filtered sound, the filter noise dominates so you any noise from the dry signal really doesn't matter. Also, even at 100% dry, some of the noise from the filter might get through to the dry signal.

The Wahoo isn't designed for using 100% dry signal, it assumes you will mix in the filters. You can listen to the filters without resonance: just set the filters to low-pass, and set the cutoff to maximum (4kHz), and resonance to minimum (0). You can balance the drive and output levels to minimise the noise (setting low drive and high output will maximse the noise).
leonnine

Re: wahoo hiss

Post by leonnine »

if it seems to be working fine then thats ok.
your right that it doesn't seem that bad in video when i play it on my hi-fi system.
i think my studio monitors ( and headphones) are less forgiving and obviously more revealing to me.

it is better with more drive but still surprised that with a 100% set low pass filter the background noise is still there when filter is closed down to sub levels.

i guess in real world usage in the context of a completed track, such things like isolated noise levels dont matter as much.

otherwise, the pedal does sound great.

thanks for your help
leon