Stepped or clicking sound

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

Ryq

Stepped or clicking sound

Post by Ryq »

Hey Sonuus!

My wahoo is making a very audible stepped or clicking sound when rocking the treadle. This is in the F00 setting, for example, and others. Almost like a frog croaking. Now, I like to make crazy noises and it is a fun sound in that sense, but when I do a quick hit with a chord sweeping up, and then attempt to silently rock the pedal back to do the same hit and sweep again, I have a croaking frog chiming in!

I'd like to fire the frog from my band as soon as possible.

Is this just poor implementation of slew in the pedal's design??? I should hope not!

Or, did I get a unit with an issue?

This is the only issue I've noticed. I mean, it is a noisy pedal at times, but I play with all sorts of older synth gear, so I am used to some noisy filters. Not a big deal at all. However, the stepped notching in the sweep being audible is a difficult sound to get around. I mean, it would definitely show up in recordings.
james
Site Admin

Re: Stepped or clicking sound

Post by james »

This is a fault, but the cause is known and it's easy to fix.

Can you please send me a PM with your details, where and when you bought the Wahoo, etc. And we'll help get it fixed.
flumpjumper

Post by flumpjumper »

Hi.
Not sure if my issue is the same.
I sometimes notice the filters are kind of grindy or clicky as I move the pedal (bad description). Kind of feels like it is doing lots of tiny steps, and stutters between each one.
It doesn't seem to always do it.
Is this just a feature of the digital control vs pots?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

We found, due to variations in the analogue components, that this happens on some units, but not on others. It is not related to the digital pots.

It was fixed by doing a small circuit change (a "mod") in the factory on one of the PCBs. It sounds like this mod hasn't been done one your particular Wahoo for some reason.

Can you please send me a PM with details of your Wahoo, and where you bought it.