using the i2M with sax live

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

ceminizer

using the i2M with sax live

Post by ceminizer »

Hi,

I'd like to use my i2M live with sax, along with the foot pedals I'm currently using (TC Helicon Voice Live and Ibanez Wah pedal). I'm using a clip on mic and running mono into the board through a DI box. I would like to use an iPad for sounds with the i2M and be able to mix the "real" sax audio with MIDI sounds (and be able to toggle in and out) and still use my pedals. What would be the best way to do this? I read the post about using an A-B-Y foot switch but I'm not sure that's the answer. Would the G2M be a better choice? Thanks so much!

Chris
james
Site Admin

Re: using the i2M with sax live

Post by james »

Hi Chris,

Whether the i2M is a better choice than the G2M depends on a few things.

(1) How are you connecting to your iPad? The i2M has a USB connection, so it can connect directly to your iPad and will also let you route audio into the iPad. You can then use the headphone out for audio output. Alternatively, if you are using another audio interface, you can use a USB hub to connect your interface and the i2M to your iPad.

If you have a MIDI input on your interface, the G2M will connect directly to that instead.

(2) The i2M also has a preamp which may be useful if you need to adjust the gain. But this might not be important because you have a DI box doing that for you.

(3) The i2M will accept MIDI controllers (sent over USB) to let you control aspects of your performance. In particular, you have HOLD and SUSTAIN pedals, as well as program change to switch between the 4 presets in the i2M. The G2M doesn't have this. HOLD is very useful: use it either to sustain a MIDI note while you play over it, or use it to silence the MIDI (i.e., you are "holding no note") when you play. It's another way to MIX the MIDI with the original sax sound without an external audio switch. It doesn't let you mute your original audio though, just MIDI.

Do you have any MIDI foot controllers to send MIDI messages?