Splitting the fretboard

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

grahammk1

Splitting the fretboard

Post by grahammk1 »

Hi. I wonder if someone could explain in simple terms how to split the fretboard into different instruments e.g. Bass guitar on lower strings only etc.?
james
Site Admin

Re: Splitting the fretboard

Post by james »

You can't quite split the fretboard (i.e., different strings and frets) but you can split based on different notes. This is because the i2M has no way to know which string/fret was played, only which note.

This image shows the i2M desktop editor's MIDI Configuration page. This is where you need to go to set up the splits

http://www.sonuus.com/images/i2M-desktop-zone1.png

A "split" is essentially multiple "zones":

(1) Enable the zones you want (you need at least one zone to get anything, and one zone enabled is the default configuration).

(2) Set the "gate" for each zone. A zone will only respond to notes within the gate region.

(3) Set the MIDI channel for each active zone. This lets you send the MIDI to different instruments.

For example, if you want the low notes to play a bass, and the higher notes to play something else, you could do this:

[*] Enable zone 1 and zone 2.
[*][*] Set the gate on zone 1 to go from C-1 to Eb3
[*] Set the gate on zone to to go from E3 to G9.
[*] Set MIDI channel on zone 1, to 1, and MIDI channel on zone 2 to 2 (or make these match whatever your software instruments are receiving on).

Now, playing the lower octave will only send to channel 1, and the higher octave to channel 2.

You can also overlap zones, they don't need to be exclusive.

If instead you wanted the bass notes to play on channel 1, regardless of how high you played on the guitar, you could change this slightly:

[*] Set the gate on zone 1 and zone 2 to go from C-1 to G9 (i.e., full range)
[*] Enable the constrainer on zone 1 and set to go from B0 to Eb2.

Now when you play, the note you play will go to channel 2, but a bass note (between B0 and Eb2) will go to channel 1. The constrainer limits the note to what you select. If the range is an octave or more, the note will be the correct note, just limited to a particular octave. It can give very a convincing impression of two instruments playing together.
grahammk1

Post by grahammk1 »

thank you - very well explained, and exactly the help I was looking for. Very impressed with your service :-)
addseo1115

Post by addseo1115 »

i want mutl-effect , who recommeded for me ?

Thanks.