Wahoo on/off as sent midi message

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

flumpjumper

Wahoo on/off as sent midi message

Post by flumpjumper »

I've got an eq and other effects set up in ableton.
When I switch on the wahoo, obviously these settings are not relevant and I'm trying to figure out how to have wahoo on/off send as a control message so I could possibly have two different effects chains in ableton that will switch on and off when I switch wahoo on and off.
Stuffed if I can figure out how though, so far best idea I have is linking them to expression, but this is not quite right for an envelope where I'm not using expression on the pedal.

Any ideas?
james
Site Admin

Re: Wahoo on/off as sent midi message

Post by james »

The Wahoo doesn't have this feature yet, but I'm sure we can add it.

Right now, we have two similar MIDI options but they don't help:

(1) "footswitch controller" -- this lets you send a MIDI message to the Wahoo to act as the footswitch so you can control the Wahoo remotely. You really want this the other way so the Wahoo sends the message.

(2) "send program change" -- this only sends when a program has changed, and doesn't send if you simply toggle the effect enable. If it did send when you enabled the Wahoo, this might work, but then what do you send when the Wahoo is bypassed. I think it would cause problems trying to use this.

What I think would work is to have a new option: "send footswitch controller", and this would send the same MIDI controller you've set in (1), above, when the footswitch is pressed. But should it just be the footswitch? Presumably you want it sent whenever the Wahoo is put into and out of bypass mode, even if that is done using the pedal, not the footswitch?
flumpjumper

Re: Wahoo on/off as sent midi message

Post by flumpjumper »

Hi.
Yep, I agree, that would be ideal. Maybe also if there was a control message sent when switching between presets (via the clicking button when in toe or heel position, with that enabled).

I ended up mapping the eq points to move when the expression pedal is moved. In some ways this is better, but then I'm finding that this ends up using the pedal as more of a controller, and makes the pedals filters a little redundant.
I still like the sound of switching the pedal on, and just hearing its sweep, with everything else fixed.
Maybe I'm just falling into the rabbit hole.