Noise hissing Level help!

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

SkyHeroDraven

Noise hissing Level help!

Post by SkyHeroDraven »

Hello,
I am having a high amount of Hissing level when I engage my pedal. this only happens on my gain channel. I use a Rivera Knucklehead Tre. The pedal is first in my signal, then it goes to a Digitech Whammy, then into a G-Lab GCS-2 which has various loops, but all are true bypassed when I use the gain channel. Then it goes into the front of the amp. The Wahoo is powered by a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 plus. I know filters pedals can be noise, and there are other things that can cause noise, like ground loop problems. But how do I know if it is a ground loop problem? and if it is a ground loop problem how would I fix it? or maybe the power from the Pedal power plus 2 is causing noise? I get a fantastic wah sound out the pedal, but its just completely uncomfortable for me and the band with how much noise there is as soon as the pedal is activated on the gain channel. Any thoughts or pointers on what to do to dial the noise factor down? thank you kindly!
james
Site Admin

Re: Noise hissing Level help!

Post by james »

You are right, the filters in the Wahoo can be quite noisy, but sometimes ground-loops make this much worse and it becomes a problem.

Try this: run the Wahoo on batteries, and connect only your guitar and amp to it -- that way it's not possible to have any ground loops. This should let you see what the "normal" noise level is. Of course, with more resonant filters the noise will be higher (the resonant filters have a huge amount of gain that amplify the noise at the filter's cutoff frequency).

To keep noise lower, increasing the drive level and decreasing the output level will help. Think about this the other way, if you want to get a nice clean wah and turn drive to zero, the signal going into the filter is very small, so you need to increase the output level to get a decent signal out. But that also boosts any noise in the filter. So, it's always better to increase the drive as much as you can to get the tone you want, then adjust the output level.