Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

jathang

Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression

Post by jathang »

Hi Folks,

So Midi got an update recently, to allow for, '"Per Note," expression via, Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression, or MPE for short. This allows for legato between pitches as well, for several midi continuous controllers, like the Madrona Labs Soundplane,The Linnstrument, and the Haken Continuum controller. The AAlto synthesizer, by Madrona Labs, already supports MPE, and their Kaivo synthesizer will be able to process this type of midi, next month, as well. Does Sonuus have any plans to give the I2M the ability to send out this sort of continuous control midi messages, rather than the the standard note on, note midi messages.

Here's a link abut MPE-
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-26 ... zyTx8/edit

Many Thanks,
J
james
Site Admin

Re: Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression

Post by james »

Thanks for sharing this.

I wasn't aware of it, but from a quick look it looks a lot like MIDI Key-Based Instrument Control that was introduced in 1999. I have used and implemented that on hardware devices before.

The main problem with this kind of thing is there is often only limited support for it. But if only a few synths use it, and those become very popular, that's all you need.

As an example, the i2M musicport sends the "pitch-bend sensitivity" RPN message so synths can set their pitch-bend range to match the i2M. Great -- you don't have to tweak the synth when you adjust the pitch-bend range on the i2M. The problem is a lot of synths don't support this.

More to the point, what do you see as the creative uses for this with the i2M? The i2M is monophonic so it can only send one note at a time (unless you use the zones, of course, then you can send up to 6). An understanding of the creative uses would be essential to work out how best to incorporate this (if at all) in the i2M.