Power Supply

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

ErwinS

Power Supply

Post by ErwinS »

Hey,

I recently ordered both the Sonuus Wahoo and the Sonuus Voluum, and i am looking forward to adding them to my pedal board.
My question however relates to the power requirements of both units. I have looked at the manuals of both units which state the following:

"The Voluum can be powered by batteries, by a 9V DC power supply (neither of these is supplied), or by USB. Select one of the following:

• insert 4 AA batteries (alkaline can be used, but we recommend rechargeable NiMH batteries) into the battery compartment in the base of the Voluum. WARNING: observe correct polarity!

• plug the output of a 9V DC power supply into the port labelled DC on the back of the Voluum. The 9V DC power supply that you use should be capable of providing 500mA and have a
2·1mm centre pin connector. Note that the Voluum has been designed so that either polarity (tip-positive or tip-negative) can be used.

• plug a USB cable connected to your computer or a USB power supply into the port labelled USB on the back of the Voluum. If a USB hub is used, it may need to be a powered hub to ensure it
can provide enough current to the Voluum. However, sometimes USB power (typically desktop PCs) can be noisy or can cause ground loops, which may increase the noise in your signal. If this
happens and you want to use the USB connection, simply connect a 9V DC power supply and the Voluum will use that instead of USB power and you won’t get these noise problems"

and

"The Wahoo can be powered by batteries, by a 9V DC power supply (neither of these is supplied), or by USB. Select one of the following:

• insert 4 AA batteries (alkaline can be used, but we recommend rechargeable NiMH batteries) into the battery compartment in the base of the Wahoo. WARNING: observe correct polarity
!
• plug the output of a 9V DC power supply into the port labelled DC on the back of the Wahoo. The 9V DC power supply that you use should be capable of providing 500mA and have a
2·1mm centre pin connector. Note that the Wahoo has been designed so that either polarity (tip-positive or tip-negative) can be used.

• plug a USB cable connected to your computer or a USB power supply into the port labelled USB on the back of the Wahoo. If a USB hub is used, it may need to be a powered hub to ensure it
can provide enough current to the Wahoo"

If i read this correctly this implies that if i would want to power the units with a pedal board power unit, i require a power output outlet of 9V and 500mA for each pedal. While there are of course pedals that require 500mA, this does seem rather high. I was thus wondering how most people power their Sonuus pedals and whether a 9B, 500mA power outlet is indeed required or whether i misinterpret the manual.

Kind Regards,

Erwin
james
Site Admin

Re: Power Supply

Post by james »

You read it correctly. The specs say a 500mA, 9V supply. However, that is a maximum.

For CE certification we need to specify the maximum, not the typical power requirements. The LEDs at maximum brightness can take a lot of power, on normal (default) brightness, it's a lot lower. And the maximum only occurs when all the LEDs are on.

Typically, the Wahoo will require less than 300mA.

The Voluum is similar, but needs more current than the Wahoo because the studio-grade analogue circuitry needs more power. But still, this is usually less than 400mA.

But you won't be able to use a low-power supply (100mA) that some pedal board supplies provide.
ErwinS

Re: Power Supply

Post by ErwinS »

Ah, makes sense :)

Thanks for the fast reply.