Voluum pedal switching off/on

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

Odersfelt

Voluum pedal switching off/on

Post by Odersfelt »

Pedal switches off then on again every 10 seconds or so. Running on batteries with v1.3 firmware. Happens with all presets and whether playing or not. Cable connection is solid, stays on all the time when in bypass mode. :?:
james
Site Admin

Re: Voluum pedal switching off/on

Post by james »

Does this happen if connected to a power supply, or USB? Is it only on batteries?

If you enable buffered bypass mode, rather than true bypass mode, does it still happen. Indeed does it now start switching off when bypassed?

I'm wondering if the batteries can't supply enough power to drive the relays that do the signal switching.
Odersfelt

Post by Odersfelt »

Suspect it was batteries, although they were new ones I just put in I notice the "bat" warning today and level shows as 32%. Have changed and will let you know if still a problem.

Also I get a code "ER 1" on start up every time, is that an error code to be concerned about?
Odersfelt

Post by Odersfelt »

So I put new (Duracell) batteries in, checked battery level was showing as 92%, used for 20mins and got the "bat" warning and level now 42%. Will try again in case was some duff batteries, but does this and the ER1 error code point to some possible power problem?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Certainly batteries shouldn't be draining so quickly if they are good. I use NiMH rechargeables (2500mAHr) and can run the Voluum for many hours without problems.

Er1 means that for some reason the pedal calibration is corrupt. Does your pedal appear to work correctly?

I'm wondering if somehow the settings memory has been corrupted and the pedal calibration is wrong, and so are other things, such as the LED display intensity -- if that's at maximum it will certainly increase the power consumption. You can try to reset the settings (using the editor, there is a "restore to factory settings" option in the setup page). You should then perform a pedal calibration as described in the manual because restoring to factory settings will keep your pedal calibration.
Odersfelt

Post by Odersfelt »

Have done a reset. Still get ER1 code on start up and LEDS are at 100% brightness whatever value the parameter is set to. They dim when the parameter is changed but then go straight back to max brightness. Currently set to 20 but are clearly at max. Happens whether on batteries, 9v 500ma power supply or USB.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Clearly something weird going on. I first thought it was most likely to be a firmware issue, but the restore to factory settings should clear out all the settings (apart from calibrations) and resolve any problems.

Some questions for you:

(1) Have you installed the latest Voluum firmware?

(2) Have you recalibrated the pedal as described in the manual?

(3) Can you save user presets?

It sounds like settings can't be saved in internal flash memory, but if you can save user presets that's not the case.

Can you please send me a PM with your details (where you live, and where you bought the Voluum) so we have this if we need to send you a replacement unit.
Odersfelt

Post by Odersfelt »

1) Yes installed 1.3
2) Have recalibrated now. Looks like it may have fixed the LED brightness issue, need to check more and the ER1 code not showing on start up
3) Yes can save presets.

Let me check it out when I have more time this weekend and will let you know if still a problem or fixed now.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Thanks for the quick response. It sounds encouraging. Please let me know how you get on after the weekend.
Odersfelt

Post by Odersfelt »

Well pedal effects seem to work fine but having problems with battery drain. I put new Duracell batteries in, checked batt level and it was 100%. Set LED level to 20. After about 2 hrs battery level was down to 20% and getting the batt warning. I tried setting the LED level right down to 1 and I can see them dim down but am pretty sure the LEDs go back on full. On the Wahoo I can set LED level to 1 and they stay dimmed at same brightness when switch LOCK back on. When switch LOCK off they noticeably brighten (for ease of editing I assume) then dim again when LOCK. On the Voluum they just stay at the same brightness, except when adjusting the LED level.

Dont think this is right and would hope to get more than 2 hours out of a set a batteries, most of our gigs last more than hours.