velocity crazyness

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

ribrdb

velocity crazyness

Post by ribrdb »

What's up with the midi velocity?
I've tried humming into a mic connected to the i2m. I put it in the default guitar and a custom vocal setting.
But the midi notes seem really sensitive. If I put the gain down low on the i2m, it still sends midi notes with 127 velocity but the audio signal is so low you can barely even hear anything.
If I turn the gain up enough that I can actually record audio, i2m sends notes with velocity 127 from just the background noise.
Shouldn't I be able to set the gain so that I can get audio and midi at the same time?
james
Site Admin

Re: velocity crazyness

Post by james »

The velocity is adaptive, so it adjusts to what you are playing. The maximum velocity (127) is based on the largest signal the i2M has seen. So a small signal will give maximum velocity if you haven't played any larger sounds into the i2M. But as soon as you play a larger sound, the smaller level signals will give lower velocity.

This is done so that the dynamics work correctly with different instruments. If you disconnect the jack input to the i2M and reconnect it, it will reset the velocity detection levels for you.

Do you have the latest i2M firmware (version 1.4.0) installed? This had some changes to the way the MIDI velocity is determined. The level auto-adjusts in the background.

So I suggest to set the gain to how you want it for audio, then unplug/replug the audio input jack and start humming to see if that fixes it (latest firmware will help too).
adridp

Post by adridp »

Hi there, I was just experiencing exactely the same problem using my clarinet with a dynamic pickup (not piezzo) so I came looking for an answer here and was glad to find it so quick. As soon as I unplugged and replugged the cable it was working perfectly recognising crescendos and diminuendos really well. However after a bit of playing it got back to the same problem so I unplugged and replugged the cable and as before it was well again... these repeated several times... I tried to use all different combinations of compressor and expander for velocity and breath control but it didn't help. It would always work fine after the unplug replug but after 1 minute playing get back to the initial problem of recognising every dynamic on attack or crescendo diminuendo as 127! I have the latest firmware! Thank you in advance for your time reading this
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Can you please make an audio recording (ideally as a wav file) of what you are playing? This will give us something to look at and experiment with to see if we can reproduce it.

Send me a PM with your email address so I can reply and we can exchange the file by email (forum won't accept such big uploads)