n00b questions

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

Guy123

n00b questions

Post by Guy123 »

Hi James

Just got a Wahoo last week. Loving it!

A few questions about the features I couldn't find in the manual.

LFO
di.p (on/off) - does enabling this make the pedal sweep the divisions? how does it interact with div?

ENV
StE (1-31) - assume this is the number of steps in the envelope?
PEd (on/off) - does this change the Q as the pedal is swept?

CUSTOM
Po.t (1-240) - what does this do?
Pos (on/off) - what does this do?
Set (off/den) - what does this do?

Thanks!
Guy
james
Site Admin

Re: n00b questions

Post by james »

Hi Guy,

I'm pleased to hear you are loving the Wahoo.
LFO
di.p (on/off) - does enabling this make the pedal sweep the divisions? how does it interact with div?
Yes. When this is enabled, "div" becomes the "lo div" and a new parameter "di.h" is the "hi div". The pedal sweeps through the divisions from lo to hi. So if you set lo to x1 and hi to x3, moving the pedal would go from x1 to x2 to x3 (it's quantised, so no in-between divisions are allowed).

On the Wahoo editor, this appears as "pedal" (on/off), and div gets a "hi" and "lo" parameter.
ENV
StE (1-31) - assume this is the number of steps in the envelope?
PEd (on/off) - does this change the Q as the pedal is swept?
StE -- yes, this is the steps.

PEd makes the envelope filter pedal controlled. You have 5 envelope parameters: sensitivity, punch, attack, decay, steps. When you enable pedal control you get another set of these parameters so you have a "hi" and "lo" set of parameters. Moving the pedal will smoothly transition between these settings. For example, you can use this to make the envelope filter more or less aggressive by moving the pedal as you play.
CUSTOM
Po.t (1-240) - what does this do?
Pos (on/off) - what does this do?
Set (off/den) - what does this do?
Po.t - Short for "power-off time" shown as "power-save timeout" on the editor. When the effect is bypassed, it can enter a lower-power mode to save battery. This happens after this time. The analogue circuits are still powered, so you can still instantly enable the effect in power-save mode.

Pos - Shows the position of the pedal as a numeric readout. Some people want to know where the pedal is positioned before activating the effect, this lets you see where the pedal is without having to listen to it.

Set - "set list", but currently this only enables demo mode. When the unit is locked, demo mode limits you to 13 carefully chosen presets. We plan to extend this feature to have user-selectable lists of presets (i.e., a setlist) so when playing live you only have the presets you need.
Guy123

Post by Guy123 »

Thanks for the speedy response!

The pedal feature makes ENV mode much more flexible than I'd realised. I'll have to go and play with that now :lol:

The position feature looks useful too.

It would be great if there was a way to configure o.lo and o.hi so that the footswitch enables effect on/off instead of moving through the presets. Is that likely for a future update? :D

Regards
Guy
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The pedal feature makes ENV mode much more flexible than I'd realised. I'll have to go and play with that now :lol:
Indeed -- it's more flexible than a typical envelope filter!
It would be great if there was a way to configure o.lo and o.hi so that the footswitch enables effect on/off instead of moving through the presets. Is that likely for a future update? :D
The point of o.lo / o.hi was so that the footswitch was always available for preset selection. But of course, we can add other options. What exactly do you want to do and why? If it makes sense, we can look at adding it.
Guy123

Post by Guy123 »

The point of o.lo / o.hi was so that the footswitch was always available for preset selection. But of course, we can add other options. What exactly do you want to do and why? If it makes sense, we can look at adding it.
James, I was thinking of is a mode where

> the effect can be switched ON by moving the pedal from heel position (or, alternatively, from toe position)
> the effect can be set to stay on for a variable period (e.g. 1- 25 seconds, personally I would use a setting of 5-10 seconds) even if the pedal is returned to heel position and is not in motion
> BUT the footswitch can still be used to switch the effect ON/OFF immediately
> the up/down buttons are used to move through presets

I hope this makes sense! I don't think it's currently possible but I would find it very useful - others may too?

Thanks
Guy