Recording live bass to midi

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

JulianMince

Recording live bass to midi

Post by JulianMince »

Apologies if this is a stupid question - will an i2M allow me to play my bass and generate a midi file please? If it will, what other software would I need to create the midi file? I've got copies of Mulab and Audacity if they'd be of any use.

Many thanks in advance!
james
Site Admin

Re: Recording live bass to midi

Post by james »

Yes you can do this. MuLab should work, though I haven't tried it myself.

The i2M appears just like a USB MIDI Keyboard, so any software that works with that will also work with the i2M.

Check out our FAQs for playing tips. This is particuarly important for bass to get the best results:

http://www.sonuus.com/products_i2m_mp_f ... enu_anchor
JulianMince

Post by JulianMince »

Excellent - many thanks James. I'll let you know how I get on :-)
JulianMince

Post by JulianMince »

This is looking great so far. I'm a complete newb doing anything with midi, so I may have overcomplicated this, but here's how I got on.

I recorded a track of me playing along to an mp3 in MuLab then exported it to a midi file. I then imported it into Guitar Pro. It came in as a piano file, so I then created a new Bass document and copy/pasted the notes in. Everything was an octave too low, so I transposed it up an octave and voila - there it was. All I need to do now is tidy up the notes to account for my poor early morning playing and I can get on with the end goal of converting what I played into a Rocksmith custom file.

Assuming this works, and I can see absolutely no reason why it won't, my i2M is going to save me hours of having to manually enter notes one by one into Guitar Pro. Is it my birthday and Christmas Day today?!