Volume drop when running an overdrive in front of the Wahoo

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

Fogael

Volume drop when running an overdrive in front of the Wahoo

Post by Fogael »

I'm still a first day user. I fiddled around with the software for a few hours and I really like the Wahoo. I'd love to use my overdrive/DI gefore the Wahoo, but I'm having volume issues with this configuration.

When I use my Tech 21 VTDI at home I mostly have the level turned up pretty high and sometimes even max it, because it seems to behave like the level knob on an amp and I believe driving the VTDI with the level knob results in less clipping than using the driveknob. So, when I'm running the VTDI like that in front of the Wahoo, I get a pretty big volume drop when I engage the wah - even when I set the output to 100 on the Wahoo.

Why is that and how can I fix that?
james
Site Admin

Re: Volume drop when running an overdrive in front of the Wa

Post by james »

Maybe you can attach the Wahoo preset you are using (or if it's a factory preset, just say which one it is).

Also, can you record the signal with the Wahoo on and off, so we can see the difference between them?

Some initial thoughts....

A wah is a filter, so it always removes signal, so it will always sound thinner when enabled.

The Wahoo output can be very loud. What is the drive on the Wahoo set to? If this is set very low (e.g., 0) the input to the Wahoo filter will be very low which will make the output low (even when set to 100) and make the output more noisy (the input signal level is lower, but the background noise stays the same). Drive should typically be set to 10 or above. Lower values let you keep very loud input signals clean.
Fogael

Post by Fogael »

So, yesterday the Wahoo manual was my bedtime reading and I'm almost through (admittingly I fell asleep, it was late), but didn't get everything.
The manual mentions at some point that a higher drive value results into "soft saturation" (dunno the exact words, can't find the paragraph in question anymore) - what does that mean exactly?

I recorded something with a kinda fuzzy VTDI setting. I wouldn't use a setting like that in front of the amp, but for homerecording this isn't even the most extreme setting I use (more of a noise fan here). For this recording I used the factory preset f03 "classic bass wah pedal", BUT with the output cranked to 100.

If I turn up the drive on the Wahoo as well, I can get higher output. Haven't tried maxing it yet, though. Are there disadvantages when I have a high drive value with a very high input signal?
I don't quite get it how this works. I thought an effect like the wahoo works with the input signal as it is. How can there be such a difference in volume?

PS: Could you maybe raise the max. attachment file size a bit here? 256 KiB are not a big help when you're trying to attach sound files...
Hope this works:
https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/d7 ... 216/5b72ab
Fogael

Post by Fogael »

You know what? Nevermind.
I'm replacing a multi-FX with stand alone effects at the moment and just ran into kinda the same problem with another pedal. Apparently I'll just have to admit to myself that it's probably a stupid idea to use the VTDI in that way.