(Beeping) sound when amending Filter mix or Dry/Wet mix

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

CaBleman

(Beeping) sound when amending Filter mix or Dry/Wet mix

Post by CaBleman »

I recently received my Wahoo (and Voluum, bundle buy). Great invention and versatile pedal, yet have a couple of concerns / possible issues...

One peculiar behaviour is the occurring of stepping sounds (which eventually go into beeping with faster turning)
when amending the Filter MIx or the Dry/Wet mix with either the hardware knob or the Editor virtual knobs. It's different hardware knob though (speed/stepping I guess).
Preset F00 is sufficient to give it a try...

Is that normal behaviour? I find it a bit irritating, to be honest.

Cheers CaBleman
james
Site Admin

Re: (Beeping) sound when amending Filter mix or Dry/Wet mix

Post by james »

It is normal, but it is more obvious on some units than on others because of normal small voltage variations in the circuits.

These parameters are not "modulateable"; they are not designed to be changed during a performance (unlike filter Q or cutoff which are). The control is done using digital pots, which work in discreet steps. Sometimes you can hear it step. If you move it fast, the train of steps can sound like a zipper -- it's often called zipper noise.

However, if the steps are very bad, it is possible to do a circuit change (adding and removing some components) to improve this. It can never be completely eliminated because of the inherent stepped nature of the digital pots, but it can be minimised.
CaBleman

Post by CaBleman »

James,

thanks for the clarification and terminology - "zipper noise" describes it very well ;)
It it must be more obvious on mine, since I find it irritating.
Well I for one like to experiment with the dry/wet mix a lot - there is much variety to be pulled from this one! But I agree, not in a performance situation, but while sound designing / fiddling with it.
Re possible circuit changes. I guess that is not possible w/o loss of warranty in DIY? - Sending the unit forth and back from the mainland is always a bit quirky...

Cheers,
CaBleman
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I'm happy to support competent DIYers.. it makes it more fun. Would you like me to send you details of the changes that need to be made? It won't void your warranty.
CaBleman

Post by CaBleman »

Absolutely. I like that attitude! Competent is relative, I build one or two pedals 25 years ago, but I'm just getting into that again (docyou know FuzzDog's stuff?)... but in general I received a vocational training in "power electronics" a looong time ago and I'm not the clumsiest one, too 8).
But before I'd amend anything on my Wahoo there's something else I'd like to discuss, via PM though. does not concern the public...

Kind regards, Carsten
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I'll send you a PM now and we can continue detailed discussion off the forum.