Filter (De-)Tuning?

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

CaBleman

Filter (De-)Tuning?

Post by CaBleman »

I recently received my Wahoo (and Voluum, bundle buy). Great invention and versatile pedal, yet I have a couple of concerns / possible issues...

Of course I tried the filter tuning, also to see where the ones on my Wahoo are operating at.
A VST Plugin Tuner shows 872-873 Hz, for both F1 and F2.
When I tune them up to 880Hz, they vary quite quickly in 10 cent ranges, after a short while tehy go down 1Hz.
After a couple of minutes (have not measured, 5-7-10?), they are down to 872-873 Hz again.

Is this normal behaviour? It would be a PITA to adjust this all the time so presets sound like thy should, right?

Cheers CaBleman
james
Site Admin

Re: Filter (De-)Tuning?

Post by james »

The filter architecture used in the Wahoo is very sensitive to temperature changes. Other effects which use similar filters typically just have a cut-off knob to adjust it and it's very imprecise -- we wanted to do better.

So there are two levels of temperature compensation for each filter. One is analogue to give more temperature stability, and one is digital to give even better stability and also better accuracy (that's why you tune to 880Hz).

It's best to do the calibration after the Wahoo has warmed up inside. Ideally 30 minutes or more, but I find 5-10 minutes is usually fine if the Wahoo hasn't been moved (bringing it from a cold car to a warm room will take longer).

Once calibrated, you shouldn't have too worry about it.
CaBleman

Post by CaBleman »

Yup, I followed the instructions in the manual and waited for 20-30mins, so temp changes shouldn't be the issue here. Although it is a relatively cold room (19-20 °C).
Of course, in all day life I wouldn't check a couple of times a day. ;)
But while I'm evaluating it (just received it last week) I was testing some VST tuners, next to hardware tuners when I was tuning the Wahoo.
That's why I did it a couple of times and realised that it goes to approx. 872Hz quite quickly after the tuning process and entering tuning mode again after a couple of minutes
(while the unit was powered on all the time).

Bye,

CaB
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The joys of sensitive analogue electronics :-)