using i2m with yamaha motif xf

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

dagopoian

using i2m with yamaha motif xf

Post by dagopoian »

I need some guidance in hooking up my i2M music port to my Yamaha motif XS workstation. Looking at the User Forum, I see someone with a Motif Rack was advised to download Midiox and use it to “echo a MIDI input to MIDI output.” I was able to download this application, but I couldn’t figure out how to use it. Plus don’t I need some kind of USB to MIDI cable? The guy at the local music store thought I did, so I ended up buying a M audio MIDI SPORT Uno. But now that seems to require installing some kind of driver. This is getting very complicated and it’s really not my forte. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Dave
james
Site Admin

Re: using i2m with yamaha motif xf

Post by james »

The easiest way to do this is to use the G2M, rather than the i2M, because it has a 5-pin MIDI connector that will connect directly into the Motif.

The i2M makes it more complicated, because the Motif can't talk to USB MIDI devices.

But you have an i2M and everything you need, so you are almost there...

The MIDI Sport Uno shouldn't need drivers. I believe it is "class compliant" which means the drivers are built into Windows so it should install the drivers automatically when you plug it in.

In MIDI-OX, go to "Options | MIDI Device":

(1) Make sure you select "Automatically attach Inputs to Outputs during selection" (at the bottom of the window)
(2) On "MIDI Inputs" select the i2M musicport.
(3) On "MIDI Outputs" select the M Audio MIDI Sport Uno.

This should now make any MIDI received by the i2M be sent to the MIDI Sport Uno, and thus to your Motif.
dagopoian

Re: using i2m with yamaha motif xf

Post by dagopoian »

thanks so much!
dave